Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

We are sorry to hear about your problems with your new boat and motor. However all issues except for the code 134 are boat or rigging related.  The Evinrude G2 E-TEC is  proven with  over 1-1/2 years in production and thousands of satisfied customers. 

Your code 134 probably means the exhaust temp sensor is mentioned in a service bulletin that says to replace it with an improved version and to make sure a water spray nozzle in the exhaust is oriented correctly. A trained tech should be able to take care of that fairly quickly. Talk to your dealer and service manager concerning the code and getting it corrected as soon as possible. You can also contact Evinrude Customer Service and voice your concerns. Be sure to have the engine serial number available.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I have never heard anyone complain so much.Just take the rig out and run it ,and spend less time on internet, and more time fishing or whatever you do out there!!!!

Skipper

Looks as if "you" spend more time on the internet than I, and of course nothing positive to add so why the heck bother.  Thought this would be a great source for information.  I am trying to get an ongoing issue resolved and up until your comment, all others had been positive.  Find someone elses time to waste!

Mate

My 2008 Etech 150 with 500 hours started blowing the main 10a fuse two weeks ago.  I've taken it to two authorized repair shops and both have said it's an EMM replacement for $1800.  I really hesitate to drop that much into an older motor and am considering a new 150.  Does anyone know of any substantial design changes since 2008 that have increased reliability?  I've been lucky in that I've had no problems in 8 years but still disappointed at an EMM failure. Thanks.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

There are other items that can blow the fuse and I'm hoping that the dealers checked things such as a shorted or dragging fuel pump or a fautly oil injector or fuel  injector. In some cases the wiring harness may have chafed against the engine block causing a direct short.

If it is actually the EMM that is at fault, ask the tech to contact the  Evinrude dealer support team to see if any consideration could be given to you concerning  a new EMM.  If the engine has ever had  overheat conditions, bad batteries, wing nuts on the battery terminals, faulty automotive style battery chargers, loose or corroded connections, reversed polarity on jumper cables, etc.; the EMM could have been stressed and its life shortened.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks Bluewater. I hear you with taking a multi-meter to harness, electrical connections and other potential problems. Guess I just have to trust that the dealers are going to do the right thing as I have no way to check on them.
Mate

HI everyone,

I am looknig at buying a used 2006 Hydra with Etec-150.  I have always had I/O mercurisers and do not have much experience with outboards.  I was researching here about ETEC and have grown a bit concerned.  Should I consider purchasing a boat with used Etec-150? Am I getting into a nightmare with this motor? It is 1 2006 Etec with low hours.  Less than 150 hours estimated.   I do not want to go on vacation and end up with a boat that does not run consistently.

Thanks

Mark

Highlighted
Skipper

Hello Bluewater,

I hope this finds you well, I attempted to send an email to Don Erdall in the tech dept. however it bounced back undeliverable, perhaps Don has moved on, I will copy the email below;

Hello Don,

I hope things are well with you, my last report regarding my engine (Serial # 05409801) I stated all was good & it was until now, all is still good if I maintain a light load in the boat, however here is my latest issue,

(3) people in the boat (Approx 500 lbs., plus approx. 250 lbs. of gear & batteries & half tank of fuel 15 gallons), boat is a Stratos 486 SF, 1750 lbs. & of course the engine 415 lbs. = Total weight approx. 3065 lbs., this is no problem engine seems to works fine however add a towable tube (BRP 2 seater) with (2) girls approx. 200 lbs.) & the boat takes forever to get on plane (10-15 seconds) RPM does want to build above 3000 with WOT.

Present Prop is RX4-20 15in.,  it works good with a light load, is it possible the engine is not making proper power under 3000 RPM or do I need to go to an even lower pitch prop?

If your opinion is that a lower pitch prop would you be the answer what about a RX4-18 15in., & if the engine should again struggle to get on plane that could be the indication that there is an engine issue. I have watched the You-Tube video of this engine pulling a Mercury & Yamaha under the water, my engine does not seem to make that kind of power.

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Best Regards;

Allen

Admiral

Email your post to brp.care@brp.com to get it in the system again. Give them a bit of background history on the motor also.

Mate

The same thing happens to two weeks ago I have a 2010 evinrude 150 e-Tec I did not get any assistance from evinrude I had less than 250 hours on that outboard my dealership here in Houston,Texas which I will not name at this time inform me that they they contacted evinrude but I question that conversation???? As you see I am very disappointed... I need a new block 

$6,000.00 to replace it and a 1 year warranty or $13,000.00 + for a new 150 outboard 

where do I go from here Bach to Yamaha or Mercury