Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

Hello Darren

We are so sorry to hear about your engine. That has to be awful not being able to use it.

Is your motor still within warranty coverage?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I had an ETEC 30hp 2010 and motor blew up with just over 150 hours. I took it to be serviced by the only etec dealer around he was going out of business cause nobody buys these junk outboards but I paid him almost 500 bucks for the hundred hour service anyway to keep the outboard within warranty. Of course 3 months out of warranty the engines head gasket fails and destroys the engine ETEC REFUSED TO HONOR THE WARRANTY they wanted me to pay 2000 bucks for a power head lol I said why the hell would I buy another etec engine just do it self destructs at 150 HOURS!!! Goto hell etec l
Captain

There products suck and they should be shut down
Admiral

We are very sorry to hear about your experience so soon after the warranty expired. Please send an email with the serial number, your dealer name, and your motor's history to   http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html along with the story of your motor.  Your dealer technician can also contact Evinrude support to see if they could extend goodwill towards your motor since the warranty recently expired.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Good luck with Evinrude!!! Worst customer service ever I’ve had twin 2016 225 g2s been in shop 7 times 2.5 years. Now Evinrude says not fixing no more not under warranty get an attorney?!! After almost 48000 spent on new motors? Sorry I ever talk to dealer about them!! Lower unit went out no damage to prop never hit a thing dealer on my side but dealer rep said no dice he hit something end of story get a lawyer!! Never again but am getting attorney
Admiral

We are sorry to hear of your engine issues that may not have been resolved.

Is there more to the story than what you have disclosed here because the Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines have a 5 year coverage except in certain circumstances such as commercial applications, racing, submersion, etc.?

You may want to email Evinrude After Sales Support with the engine serial number, dealer name and location, and a brief history of the motors to   http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

Skipper

YES THERE IS AND I DO HAVE A 7 year warranty!!! The 7 yr started in 2016. Thanks for your reply and I think you are from Evinrude? I will give you a full blown response after I vented in first one VERY BREIFLY!!
My wife and I retired and she kindly okayed me buying a new boat! I love to fish and especially salmon. So I started with 2 boat shows in Portland OR. I was steered to Portland Marine and Electronics by a friend. I befriended the owner named Todd. He talked me into a Wooldridge 26’ Pilothouse which I absolutely love! He told me to go with these twin 225 G2 outboards. The first week they worked as he said they would. Then second week started to have steering issue like I lost the power side of it. Went into shop they tried to recalibrate and tried some stuff. Went back out same thing. Evinrude said had two other issues so they wanted the whole steering mechanism from that motor to analyze it and sent new one. Went back out same thing. Back in shop mechanic said steering control module was burnt up. Put a new one in solved issue I was happy. I then was invited to take a trip to Alaska and trailered it to Prince Rupert CA. A dream for me. We left Prince Rupert on July 8th this year. About a quarter of way across the Dixon inlet port side motor started to miss every so often. Then started to get worse. Then it started to like go in and out of gear intermittently. This got worse after maybe 20 plus times it jumped into neutral and stayed. We went in on starboard motor rest of way to Ketchikan. I called Todd and he tried to help me along with him calling Evinrude. He said Evinrude tech would call me within hour. Nobody called then got a call from Evinrude they said company policy that no techs would call to take the boat to Juneau dealer 300 miles away!!! I’m on island with no trailer or roads to get there!!! So I decided to fish the week out and deal with it when I get home. Just a thought here I have to put 1200 miles towing to dealer every time I bring in. We have a successful trip other than port motor going out. Bring back to shop to get fixed. Spines on lower unit were twisted!! No damage to prop and I was following in wake of other guy on way up. I have video of this. We NEVER hit anything with either boat period! There was a very small ding in prop before I went up on trip which I showed Todd. He said to small to even worry about. Forgot to say we started to get a warning beep on starboard motor on way back that coed out to 137 fuel delivery issue. Back at shop after trip so could fix and fish ocean out of Columbia river mouth. At dealer for 2 weeks had to get lower unit and shift acuater. Both parts bad from Evinrude. Put old one back on fished a week with one motor again. Started to have more fuel issues more at idle or lower rpm than at high. Got worse through the week finally both motors wouldn’t start came in 7 miles on kicker. Back to shop there as we speak. New lower unit on calibrated and supposedly working. Ordered new fuel pumps week ago said will be in next Monday???!! They emailed Gary McAllister dealer rep on west coast. Can’t call him as won’t give him his number. He has pictures of lower unit. My dealer tried without luck to tell them it not issue of hitting something to no avail. They called me to try and call customer service. I did yesterday they said final determination was I hit something with that motor to call insurance. I asked to speak to someone above him to no avail!! I asked him what other recourse I had?!! He said he would give me address to their legal department so he did. I hope you can help. Here is my latest case number01503469. If I don’t get a response I will have to go to my attorney and try to deal with it that way. Ask the dealer if I’ve been patient? I also am going to put my number here to try and get a class action legal action also if nothing happens. Greg cell 4062504720. Whew and thanks
Captain

Navateck Boat Builders: MAKE BELIEVE DEALER IN HONOLULU?

I continue to have problems with my engine: It stalls after I run it for a few minutes above 2,400 RPM.

After it stalls I have to wait 5-10 min and then it will restart.  I can run it all day at 2,000 RPM or so and

t will acceletate fine, only to die after a few minutes.  My engine  has simply never run properly since

a contractor replaced the fuel pump more than one year ago (it only ran good a couple of trips).

I waited for more than a year for the E-TEC dealer from Maui to answer my texts and phone calls: NO LUCK.

I discovered last December, by accident, that we have a dealer in Honolulu: Navateck Boat Builders. I was

happy to find out we had a dealer and I called to schedule an appointment.  NO LUCK. I have sent a

number of text messages. NO LUCK. THe dealer answered the phone three times: The first time he told me

he was about to have a meeting with BRP to finalize their deal. The second time he told me there was little

chance he would be able to help me beofre the holidays, even though I texted him my son was coming to

visit from the mainland and I was hoping to take him fishing.  The third time he told me he was out in the

water sponsoring a canoe race and would have a mechanic call me "next week". Well, a number of phone

messages later and more text messages have produced ZERO results.

I think BRP put a make believe dealer in Honolulu so they can sell engines and claim they have service

in Honolulu!

Aloha.

Mate

I purchased my Evinrude 75 hp ETEC Ser. #05430052  from Cabela's (in Hammond, Indiana) on March 27, 2015.  I saved and purchased what I thought would bring me years of fun & enjoyment, but that was not the case. 

The problems started approximately 6 months after I purchased it. Occasionally, it wasn't running right (missing) while running slow. I took it back to where I purchased it and they said it just needed new spark plugs.  It ran better for a while, but it started doing the same thing again. I took it back numerous times for the same problem and they didn't want to deal with me.

After 3 years (warranty expired) and Cabela's was no longer an Evinrude dealer and the NEW problems began --
Water in the gear case. I took it to Calumet Marine.  He put a new seal in and recommended I have a water pump
installed which I did.  Took the boat out several times and it ran good, then slowed down to come into the marina & it started vibrating.  Then while getting ready to load it up, the hot light came on.  I took it to Calumet Marine (Frank Martin) again.
He hooked up a lap top to it and showed me the EMM was running hot & the #2 fuel injector was faulting and showed me the fouled out spark plug. He said the EMM and the fuel injector should be replaced.

Through discussions between Frank at Calumet Marine and the Evinrude Rep., the rep. recommended just replacing the bad fuel injector. He said since the warranty expired  there was nothing he could do. Also, Frank said history on the EMM said code 25 EMM temp. ABOVE range at 22 hrs and that Cabela's should have seen it.

So it wasn't fixed right and now is out of warranty and Cabela's is no longer a dealer AND I SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!!

When I am talking with my friends & boat club members about outboard motors and they ask me about Evinrude, I have to be honest with them .  Not good.  Not happy with them. Feel like they are NOT standing behind their product.  Disappointed in their customer service!

Highlighted
Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your experiences with an Evinrude outboard.

You are aware that  complete required maintenance for your motor is due at 3 years or 300 hours, whichever comes first, correct?  The schedule is outlined in the operator's guide. It is now 4 years since you purchased it.

You may email the engine serial number and your contact info with what you have written here to http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html and they will look into the matter.