Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

Didn't post all of the maintance details to keep the post shorter.Spark plugs were changed at Cabela's Feb.2016 57hrs. During the three years of ownership the prop was removed inspected and lubercated,as was the grease fittings, fuel filter ect. by me.The waterpump was instpecd by the dealer he said it looked good but replaced it anyway at 184hrs

I tried to send the information to BRP but it said Temporarty Unavailable.

I thought that because the Evinrude Rep. recomeneded that just the fuel injector be replaced that it would be covered.

Skipper

I must say EVINRUDE did NOT stand behind their product, even though I was out of warranty.  Almost the same story as (hsif2evol) but not the great result that he had.

Highlighted
Captain

I haven't checked this site for a while, after I finally solved my fuel problems by rebuilding the lift pump myself and

using make a gasket to plug the air gaps between gaskets!

I can't believe your reply Bluewaterbill.

Here I am complaining I don't have a dealer to take my engine to and you have the guts to answer that my three year,

300 hour maintenance check is overdue! Give me a dealer where I can take my engine and I will be happy to comply.

I have not had a dealer to take my engine to for the past three years! I now have one and all attempts to contact

him since last December have met with silence.

Now for the rest of the story: My engine just died today and I had to be towed in. The engine report says there

is nothing wrong, as usual.  The only problem is it refuses to start! THe fuel is flowing properly and there is nothing

wrong with the fuel delivery.  Can you please tell me where I can take this engine? My warranty is still good until

September and I am planning to just take it to dealer tomorrow as I am tired of wasting my time calling Navatek

to schedule an appointment and never, never get a reply. BRP service is non-existent so far.

Aloha and please do not rub salt on my wounds, Bluewaterbill.

Captain

Some potential good news.

Navatek Boat Builders (the E-TEC dealer in Honolulul) is under new management. The new manager

answered my call promptly an promised he will get in touch with me Monday, after he talks to one of his

mechanics (they were off today).

Incredibly, I was emailing, leaving voice messages, and texting for SEVEN+ months with a mechanic

that had been fired (the mechanic I was origiaaly told would take care of my engine). He never had the

decency to tell me he no longer worked for Navatek until this morning!

I am now hopeful my engine will be serviced before my warranty expires!  Stay tuned.

Aloha, Tony

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Though you've had a setback with the fired mechanic your thinking that he was helping you,  at least now have things looking more positive with the new owners.  Keep in mind what I mentioned to you months ago that since the motor is now past the original 3 year factory warranty period, Evinrude will require that the motor be serviced as outlined in the operator's guide before the remaining BEST service agreement can be honored. No salt, no rubbing, no wound, just the facts, sir.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thank you for the reminder, Bluewaterbill.  The new manager was helpful and I will schedule the required

maintenance ASAP (my engine has only 362 hours).

As promised, I will give you the good news and not just the bad ones.

My latest issue was, once again, the result of compromised fuel. This time I went back to the discount

gas station where I filled my tank the last time, brought with me a clean container, and filled it with four

gallons of non-ethanol gas. Guess what? There was plenty of water dissolved in the four gallons of fuel.

I then went to my regular (slightly more expensive) gas station, got four gallons of non-ethanol fuel,

and the engine fired right up!

All is back to normal, except I have to figure out what to do with 16 gallons of contaminated fuel and

whether I want to sue the gas station for the $366.49 I had to pay and for the aggravation I went through.

I want to thank all the owners that have written about contaminated fuel issues in this web site. Reading

their comments made me realize I had never fully checked my fuel. Trust but verify!

Aloha.

Skipper

I’ve got a 150 HP E-TEC, with less than 150 hours.  When it was put in the water earlier this season, the reverse gear was not working.  Once the dealer had time to look at it, they determined it needs a new lower unit. I don’t know yet whether Evinrude will cover this.  Does anyone know if good after-market lower units are available? 

JJS
Mate

The day after i got my new pontoon with an Evinrude ETEC HO 150, the fuel gauge did not work.  Called the dealer 50 miles away, he said bring it back and he told me there should be 2-3 wires on the back.  First of all, after spending $60k there, i was shocked to hear, bring it in.  Secondly, i found out the fourth wire was not hooked up so i fixed it.  Now fast forward 2 months and 10 hours of mild boating and the check engine light goes on intermittently.  Same response, bring it in or we will charge you $300 for a service charge....nice warranty and service.  Tomorrow i have no choice to to pull it there to be looked at.  What a pain .

Admiral

The CHECK ENGINE light is similar to the one in your car or truck, it it warning you of something that is abnormal and should be attended to. On your Evinrude it also can come on with water in the engine's fuel filter.

If you want to change the filter, that could save you a trip if that was the cause of the warning light. Do not reuse the engine's fuel filter as that part of the system is under pressure and a leak could be devastating and injurious. Install a new one, always. Use care to not damage or bend the water sensing probes when removing or installing a filter.

If you do not find water in the fuel, it would then be advisable to have your dealer inspect the motor. If you do find water, that may mean that there is more in the fuel tank and should be pumped out.

Even with any other outboard motor company, service calls to the boat or tthe ransportation costs of delivering the motor to the dealer are not covered.under anybody's warranty policy...  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I agree with you, often you post a problem and you are blamed for the problem, mine was a 2008 Etec. 250 h.o. with a new powerhead, ( they had a bad batch of injectors), replaced 3 this year and they say bad fuel or contamination in the problem. No E-10 and it doesn't sit still all year and the fuel is tested at the fill site, problem?. A bad injector design and we pay for it.