Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS

I am unable to help you on customer service issues but to contact those who can, email your serial number with a description of your engine history and problem to  brp.care@brp.com .

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

What do you mean by description of history? The dealer and costomer service are working on it. The only history they could get is i had to take it in for a new down load. It hasent even seen a set of new plugs yet. It didnt need them with only 155 hrs on it.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@bluerapter wrote:

What do you mean by description of history?

Write in your own words about the motor, how it has been used, and the problem that it has.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks again for the info. I wrote the letter. Now we will see if they stand by there product. I see that they stood by another person on this site that had the same problem and was out of warranty so i hope they will do the same by me seeing how the motor has so little time on it 155 hrs and they knew there was a design flaw in the power head. Why no recall with so many people having same issue with power heads blowing?and the fact that they had to redesign them for 2008 models. Would like to get a answer for that.I'm just one customer and i know first hand of 5 people that have had the same problem.

Like i said in my letter to BRP. I had a 58 Evinrude 2 stroke that ran for 30 years with no problems to speak of other than regular maint. I take care of my equipment but i did the same with this motor. If it wasnt for this one problem which happens to be the worst thing that could go wrong i loved that motor. Great on fuel. All the power you would want. Engine didnt even get one revolution when starting and it was running like a top.Never had a warning light come on. They need to stand by there product or i can't see them lasting much longer in the out board motor buiss. I hope i'll be able to write something good on this site like BRP stood by there product. Time will tell and i will let everyone no what the out come is.

Mate

IN 2013 I RETIRED MY 2000 18FT BAYHAWK BOAT 115 JOHNSON 2 STROKE WITH  13 YEARS OF FISHING WITH NARY A PROBLEM.  I WENT TO A LOCAL BOAT DEALER IN DONNA, TX (DARGEL BOATS) AND PURCHASED A 2013 21 FT FISHERMAN BOAT WITH A 150 E TEC.  AFTER PRE READING ABOUT OTHER ENGINES I DECIDED THAT I WOULD CHOOSE THE E TEC OVER OTHER ENGINES OFFERED.  AT APPROXIMATELY 30 HOURS OF USE MY ENGINE LOCKED UP AND I WAS STRANDED WITH MY FAMILY AND WAS RESCUED BY A LOCAL FISHERMAN AND TOWED TO THE DOCK.  THE DEALER APOLOGIZED AND MADE THE NECESSARY REPAIRS AND ADVISED ME THAT THE ENGINE NEEDED TO BE REPLACED, TURNS OUT TO BE A ROD WENT THRU THE ENGINE BLOCK.  LET ME ADD THAT THE ENGINE LOCKED UP WHILE I WAS IDLING ALONG SHORE LOOKING FOR BAIT WHEN THE ENGINE LOCKED UP.....  

FAST FORWARD TO 2015 ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF APPX.  AND MY "HOT ENGINE LIGHT" COMES ON, I CHECKED FOR ANY BLOCKAGES, (NEGATIVE) LET IT COOL OFF AND RETURNED TO DOCK ABOUT 7 MILES AWAY WITH TWO MORE STOPS  (HOT ENGINE) AND RETURNED TO THE DEALER WHERE THEY SAID IT WAS A BLOCKAGE OF A WATER HOSE TO THE COMPUTER $260.00 DOLLARS THANK YOU.  THEY TELL ME THE BOAT IS FINE GOOD TO GO.  APPX.  TWO WEEKS LATER I GO TO FISH AND TRY OUT THE REPAIR.  THREE MILES OUT IN THE BAY AND HOT ENGINE AGAIN, I LET IT COOL AND KEEP FISHING.  I START THE ENGINE 500 YARDS AND HOT AGAIN.  AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN TOWED TO THE DOCK.  TO TOP IT OFF THE BOAT WILL NOW NOT GO INTO THROTTLE SECOND TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED TO THIS ENGINE.  I PLACE IT IN GEAR BUT NO THROTTLE..  ETEC WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP.   THE BOAT AT THIS MOMENT IS BACK AT THE DEALERSHIP AGAIN.  WHAT THE H#$@ IS WRONG WITH THIS MOTOR.. BY THE WAY THE ENGINE IS USUALLY DRIVEN BETWEEN 3500 AND 4000 RPM NO HIGHER.  TO SAY THAT I AM DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS PRODUCT IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT, I HAVE BEEN AT THE DEALERSHIP SO MANY TIMES THAT I GO FISHING AND RETURN TO THE DEALERSHIP EVERY TIME LITERALLY.   PHONE # FOR THE DEALERSHIP IS (956) 464-2263 THEY WILL KNOW WHICH BOAT......

Captain

I do not understand why you think you have the need to type in capitals and very hard to understand what you are saying with any punctuations. Simple fact is, IF any engine is getting hot and going into SAFE mode the first place to look is the source of the water, that is the water pump. Everyone claims they never run them dry but if you even have a small time without water the impeller, ANY brand impeller does not like that. Simple to get the tech to do the water pump and actually see what code is being stored and what is overheating. 

Admiral

You mentioned that a blockage was cleared when the first HOT alarm sounded. It is possible that it was not completely cleared out of other areas and caused the other overheating situations.

The diagnostic software your dealer uses memorizes where, when, and how hot the motor got plus how many times. That greatly simplifies troubleshooting. Have a talk  with the tech or the service manager.

Your engine is almost 3 years old so it would be a good idea and have the water pump kit changed out and the thermostats and pressure relief valve inspected.

Captain

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS - South Africa

HELP PLEASE

J love my E-Tecs. I switched from Yamaha to E-Tec six years ago and have had excellent service. My latest is a 115hp which I have had for 3 1/2 years. I have owned and built boats for almost 50 years and would not buy any other outboars.

But we have a serious problem here in South Africa.

When I bought my last engine from Tunstead Marine in Port Elizabeth they had just won an international coastal dealer award for sales and service. E-Tecs were extremely popular and backed up by excellent parts and service.

Now E-Tec South Africa is a disaster. Dealers cannot get new engines or spare parts. I have been waiting for a year for a warranty claim on my leectrical harness on my 115 to no avail. The dealer has done a temporarry repair on the harness by adding an extra wire  as a substitute for the one which has failed.  E-Tec customers throughout South Africa are in a panic. They cannot get their engines serviced and cannot buy new engines as ther is no stock.

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Admiral

Re: MORE E-TEC ENGINE PROBLEMS - South Africa

@AlbertS wrote:

we have a serious problem here in South Africa.

When I bought my last engine from Tunstead Marine in Port Elizabeth they had just won an international coastal dealer award for sales and service. E-Tecs were extremely popular and backed up by excellent parts and service.

Now E-Tec South Africa is a disaster. Dealers cannot get new engines or spare parts. I have been waiting for a year for a warranty claim on my leectrical harness on my 115 to no avail.

Hello Al,

We are sorry to hear about your dealer situation in South Africa.

Please email the engine serial number and and its service history to brp.care@brp.com .

Skipper

[ Edited ]

What was the outcome BlueRaptor? BRP won't help me and I have the same issue.