Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Mac's River Runner

has anyone used one these on a 40-60 hp engine?
If so what size did you use ? did you feel any loss of power or top speed?

Admiral

Re: Mac's River Runner

[ Edited ]

For a slow-speed straight-on impact, such as with a submerged log, the prop may be protected a bit better than by the skeg alone.

The drawback to these type of devices is that drilling the skeg weakens it, plus any type of impact at an angle or from the side increases the leverage which is transmitted to the skeg, often breaking it off and still damaging the propeller.

The River Runner with its large plate under the prop affects the water flow, causing a several mph loss of speed.

If you run in debris laden waters, you may want to look into a jet drive conversion for your motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

after twisting the second prop shaft in three weeks my dealer sugested some sort of protection for the prop. What is the best one to use? I am not woried about the prop I want to protect the prop shaft. My last E-TEC I went through 15-18 props in 6 years. This one no props, two prop shafts in 1 year and I need to protect it.

Highlighted
Captain

Some additional thoughts on twisted prop shafts:

Generally, the prop takes the brunt of impact damage, rather than the prop shaft.

One thing that will significantly impact twisting the prop shaft is shifting from forward to reverse (or reverse to forward) with out stopping in neutral so the prop can stop spinning.

Not accusing, just an offering from the "things I've seen department."

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

In addition to high speed shifting, aftermarket propellers could be a cause of spline twisting if the internal splines were very loose on the shaft or if there was very little spline engagement length compared with Evinrude propellers.

A shorter length of spline inside an off-brand propeller could cause a smaller area of the propshaft to take the brunt of the twisting force during impact, thus possibly distorting the splines.

Just other things to look for since spline twisting has not been a commonly reported situation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thank you for the responses. I do not do hi speed or even over idle shifting forward reverse or reverse forward. As for the spline surface it is full length just as the BPR prop is I am using Michigan Match aluminum propellers. I know the aluminum prop with the rubber hub should protect the prop shaft but the shaft is twisting without hurting the prop. I like the way the E-tec runs and can't afford a new one either, so I need to protect the prop shaft. What is the best way to protect the prop shaft? My thought of the propeller protecting the shaft and gears as I have grown to expect from the what has occued for the last 39 years of hunting lake Erie does not work any more I guess. I am just looking for the best way to protect the prop shaft.  I do more in the open water so jet drives would not be a good idea for my rig.

thank you

Jeff