Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Magnum (M1) Gearcase Fitment

I have an unique opportunity to purchase a low hour, freshwater used Magnum gearcase at a great price.

My 98  (200 OceanPro) "O" series geracase is shot. (E200TXECM)

The Model Year fitment for this Magnum is shown as 2000 and above. ( OMC still built the 200  "Johnson"  Ocean Pro and the  200 Evinrude Ficht motor of that time, still  shared the same motor leg.

That being said, does anyone know if this Magnum Gearcase will bolt up to my 98 motor leg? 

The case comes complete with a 25 inch upper drive shaft, my other concern is if my 98 shift rod will work, and if it will, if it will, is the shift rod height going to be the same as the "O" gearcase.

I have the OMC Tech Manual for this motor, so it only has the shift rod height for the "O" series gearcase.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Magnum (M1) Gearcase Fitment

You may need to change the driveshaft and the shift shaft to work on your older motor correctly. See a dealer who can double check the measurements of the shafts and refer to service literature if needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.