Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Maintenance and prop suggestions

Hi guys.ive had my 115 etec pushing my boat for 4 seasons now.im spinning a 14.8x17 aluminum prop.
All loaded weight is 2800#.It is programmed to burn xd50,but I run xd100(was told it will double oil and to leave it programmed this way for longer life by dealer tech)and so far I have changed the plugs,fuel filter,lower unit oil(4 years on motor).
Questions are as follows..
1.I top out at 5600 rpm is this ok or maybe stressing the lower unit and motor a little.It has a great hole shot loaded and do not run any fins or stabilizer setup.
2.Do you recommend a smaller/lower pitch prop,if so aluminum or s.s.?
3.Havent done a water pump impeller yet,is it nessary or wait another season?It doesnt overheat idling or at speed.
Planning to jump to a 200 when and if it wears out.H.P. Recommended on hull is 200.When repower time comes is it worth going with the 200 h.o.?
The hull is a 2015 glastron gt200.
It is not a G2...but since I haven't had 1 issue with it in 400 hrs,should I look for this generation motor or is the G2 the way to go?
Appreciate the input.Thanks guys.
Captain

Re: Maintenance and prop suggestions

The G1 series of engines only go up to 150HP.
The G2 200HP is the 2.7L engine.
The G2 200HO is the 3.4L engine.
I would say the 2.7 L engine would be the better choice as it can be lighter and has a larger on engine oil tank which eliminates the need for an external tank.
All that being said, the huge jump in power from a 115 to a G2 200 would give a huge increase in power which may not be needed.
Skipper

Agree.maybe 150 is more reasonable. Surprisingly my boat is faster out of the hole and just about the same top end speed as Yamaha 200's on the back of similar boats.top speed is 43 mph g.p.s. and I can only imagine chine walk at 50-55.these types of boats aren't meant to be a speed boat,for my purpose of use anyway.2-3 foot seas and you aren't goin w.o.t. unless ur in a big c.c. fishing boat.thanks for the input.alot of difference in price
Would be cool for show tho✌
Admiral

Another suggestion might be to consider the 135 HP V6.  It performs almost as well as the G1 150 and is priced less. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Can a have a ballpark price for a 115 h.o,a 150 and a 200 if anyone knows off the top of their head?
I want to know what my options are gonna cost me for the motor only
Admiral

Pricing is done by authorized Evinrude dealers. To find one in your area, click on 

https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/find-a-dealer.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Captain

Prop your motor so it has closer to 6000 rpm wot if your engine is 2008 or later. 5600 wot is in the closer to the low end of max RPM. Check what your wot is for the model engine you have. If it’s an older 115 etec I’ll be wrong on this advice.

The way you prop your motor has less to do with stressing the lower and more to do with the risk of lugging your motor.

Also I think the diam I’d yiur prop is pretty large.

Why replace an engine that is running flawlessly?