Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

Might buy 2009 Etec 300 - Have diagnostic looking for feedback

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone, 

I found this forum today because I may buy my first Etec.  i was wondering if you guys/gals had any input on the diagnostic report for this motor.

I noticed tons of hours below 1200 and some overheating codes, so I am wondering if maybe it is a recurring problem.

If I buy the motor I am taking it to my local dealer and they are gonna do the inspection and maintenance, my questions for the forum are:

1.  Do you see anything drastic in the history I should be concerned about?

2.  If it does have a overheating problem, are these usually fixable relatively easy at the delaership?  I dont mind fixing it, just want to make sure its not some kind of problem that will always plague me.

Thanks for reading!

Mate

Re: Might buy 2009 Etec 300 - Have diagnostic looking for feedback

[ Edited ]

Also compression on cylinder 6 is way up, but seller says the dealership told him thats because its been sitting for some time and the oil builds up in that cylinder and it should even out.

Mate

Admiral

@NaplesOffshore wrote:

If I buy the motor I am taking it to my local dealer and they are gonna do the inspection and maintenance, my questions for the forum are:

1.  Do you see anything drastic in the history I should be concerned about?

2.  If it does have a overheating problem, are these usually fixable relatively easy at the delaership?  I dont mind fixing it, just want to make sure its not some kind of problem that will always plague me.

Have a dealer technician check over the motor BEFORE you buy it.

Perhaps a bore scope of #6 cylinder would be a good idea.  The engine has had a number of overheat alarms which should be checked out and the water pressure sensor may be suspect.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.