Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

More top speed?

I have an ETECH 115 on a Ranger TR177 my top speed is 41, and the top RPM is 5500.  My prop is a Viper 3 blade 17 pitch. What prop will give me more top speed , but what will I sacrafice and could I have problems if I change.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: More top speed?

On some boats the Raker series of props will give better top speeds. You may lose a bit on acceleration from a dead stop. Mid-range acceleration is good. Don't forget that propping is mostly a trial and error endeavor. Depending on the year of your motor, get the revs up a bit to a max of 5800 for best results.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It is a 2010 HO. i did not know that I could run more RPMs. Thanks should i start with the same size Raker prop?

Admiral

Your motor has a 6000 rpm redline and an optimum operating range from 5500 to 5800 rpm for best all around performance. You may want to experiment with different engine mounting heights also before changing props. The V4 Raker series start at an 18" pitch.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

I found a performance bulletin on a 177TR with an E-TEC 115hp on it. You are getting the same speed that the factory testers did with a similar rig. You can play with fine tuning the engine height and trying different propellers, but I doubt that you will see any significant speed gains for the effort and expense involved. Removing weight and playing with weight distribution inside the boat may help out both your speed and your wallet.

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/PE578.pdf

Skipper

Thanks for the info. The speed from empty boat to fully loaded with gear and two peole is only about 2mph. i think i will leave it be. i love my boat and motor, and the fuel economy cant be beat.

Skipper

I have a 95 Ranger R70 with a 2011 130 E-TEC I have been working on my top speed for couple of months. I have had to put a jackplate on & experiment with several pitches & brands of props. I am currently using a 19 pitch VIPER and am running 51 MPH and turning around 5800 RPMS when I am in the boat alone.