Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Motor Issue

I have several issue with my motor. I will start with a quick description. I changed my throttle sensor due to the motor throttling up for no reason at idle and that fixed my issue with the motor rpming up during idle. Then that started again, but very sparaticly.    I had my lower seals changed on my motor due to water contamination of my gear oil.  I was just on a fishing trip for a week after they were changed. On my last day the motor starting to RPM up again at Idle. The motor dropped gas into the water Check engine light came on and motor died. The motor will not do anything, makes no noise at start up and the check engine light flashed when the motor goes through it start up sequence. The motor makes no noise like the fuel pump is working nothing.  No other warning came on when this happened.  Went I pulled the boat and checked the gear oil for contamination the oil was contaminated with water again. Can the two be related or do I have two separate issue?  I will be bringing the boat back to the shop that fixed my lower end seals If my lower end became damaged form the water could that cause my motor to not start again? 

I would appreciate some feed back or any help you can give me. If I was not clear enough on my message please let me know. 

Thank you very much

Chris

Captain

Re: Motor Issue

You almost certainly will find an EMM fault #57 - High speed, low throttle, non-transient condition detected fault code stored.  The fault is set when the engine's speed is greater than it should be for a given throttle position.  It is primarily set due to excess fuel entering the engine.  Your description indicated that you observed fuel dumping in the water which is additional confirmation of a fuel leak.

When code #57 is set, the engine is prevented from starting again until the code is cleared from memory.  At the same time, it is imperative that the source of excess fuel is found and corrected.  Water in your lower unit is a totally unrelated problem.

Admiral

Is the CHECK ENGINE light flashing when you turn the key to ON?  If so, that is code 57 which is a safety feature on the motor to prevent a runaway. It can only be reset by a dealer with the Evinrude diagnostic software as the fuel system has to be inspected and possibly repaired to keep from leaking unregulated fuel into the motor.  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Would be beneficial to know which engine you are talking about. model and serial.
Mate

E150FPXSNF is the motors S#.  I have replaced all the fuel hoses on the motor last year.  The throttle sensor was replaced which fixed the throttle problem for a couple of trips. Then on the last trip it started to act up again. The motor would sputter then stall. This would happen only at idle.  After I would get the boat to cruising speed I would have no problems.  Then when i would go back to idle after stopping It would be fine for a few time when going back to idle.  Then the problem would start all over again. The boat is at my shop.He said It may be my high pressure fuel pump.  

The shop guy said that he will recheck the seal and pressure test the lower end. He said that they did not clean all the parts when they changes the lower end seals. The oil was a very white with a blue tinge. If there was no water leaking into the seals It would not be this color correct?   It has always looked like gear oil in the past. 

Thanks so much for everyone input.  It is my first time using a message board. 

Admiral

From your description the lower unit was not sealed completely or possibly has a hairline crack somewhere.  Removing the gearcase, pressurizing it, and submerging it in a tank of water should show air bubbles where it may be leaking. Shift it and turn the propshaft and driveshaft while underwater.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Your idling problems could be from a leaking vapor separator tank or from a pinhole in the lift pump diaphragm or a number of other reasons. That may take a trained tech to troubleshoot.

If the light is flashing, then there is likely a fuel leak into the motor or you revved it up too far in nuetral and yanked the throttle back. 

Captain

Seeing it's a 2002 model Ficht, it should be the improved version by Bombardier. I have had a couple of instances with this model having similar problems to you.

It both cases it was the VST vapour valve leaking. The valve was improved a few times prior to 2002.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks again for all the help.