Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

My 2000 Ram E200fplssh will not start !

Helllo ,

All of a sudden my 2000 Ram ficht 200hp outboard will not start .

I am ASE ceritfied automovtive Tech.

I have the service manual and have narrowed down the problem to a failed start assist circuit in the EMM I think?

The question is  if the start assist has failed, Why not any codes or blown fuses ?

I have been making many electrical tests , ohms tests and voltage tests per the service manual and it keeps taking me back to test charrge system or start assist .

The STATER tests as specified no problems . I have replaced the starter solenoid with factory new part , as well as the battery .

The engine will stll not start just cranks .

I have verified that the engine has spark and fuel pressure and flow through the injectors.

Any help would be aprreciated 

Thanks VS

Admiral

Re: My 2000 Ram E200fplssh will not start !

[ Edited ]

Thank you for providing the complete model number as many people do not and that makes troubleshooting by keyboard a lot more difficult.

Do you hear the fuel pump operate for a few seconds when the key is first turned ON and does the tach read while the motor is cranking over? Have you ever seen 3 of the 4 SystemCheck warning lights illuminate at the same time and stay on for a while?

About codes, only certain parameters are monitored and recorded by the EMM. As one instructor so aptly remarked, "It is not the Starship Enterprise, the EMM cannot tell you everything."

A common NO START condition is from low cranking voltage that either keeps the EMM from booting up or an irregular cranking voltage that turns the EMM on and off. At the starter B+ terminal and the starter frame there should be over  9.8 volts at cranking for 5 seconds. If not, find the cause of the voltage drop and test the battery under a heavy load.

An intermittent starting problem often is the result of corrosion down inside the 20 amp fuse holder just off the PDP that supplies power to the EMM.

The injectors require more current to activate than the ignition system and that is why often an older FICHT engine will not start. In extreme cases the injectors are worn internally and do not provide enough fuel for a cold start, yet will work OK after the engine has warmed up and not as much fuel is needed for idle.

I am assuming that you checked for adequate voltage on the pink wire terminal on the starter solenoid as explained in the service manual.

If your dealer cannot supply a new or rebuilt EMM, if one is called for, try www.dfitechnologies.com for repairing it and rebuilding the injectors if required.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Ok thanks , 

Yes i have 10.2 while cranking on" the I terminal "at the starter soliniod .  battery voltage is 12.5 not cranking.

Key on voltage at the purple wire is 11.5 .

The fuse number 5 out put voltage never gos above 9.6 while cranking .

J out put inline fuse holder is clean and fuse has never blown .

The book says repeated fuse failures would mean a failed SAC or short in 40 volt stater circut.

This is why i was confused ,We Can still have a dead SAC with no fuse failure ?

Thank you for the help .

Admiral

The SAC circuitry is inside the EMM and it can be faulty without shorting out and blowing the fuse

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

OK , Thank You!

Highlighted
Admiral

Let us know what you find out.

Mate

I have a similar issue. The motor runs perfect. But after you shut it down, I get the 3 lights of death until it sits for about half an hour. I have ordered manual and have software coming. I’m an aircraft mechanic so electronics are not new to me. What did you find?
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@deweyelsik wrote:
I have a similar issue. The motor runs perfect. But after you shut it down, I get the 3 lights of death until it sits for about half an hour. I have ordered manual and have software coming. I’m an aircraft mechanic so electronics are not new to me. What did you find?

You do not have to keep asking the same question more than once on this site. We reponded to your  same inquiry last Thursday.

Mate

Hi Guys,

Four months back I purchased a used 2000 24ft Wellcraft Walkaround with a 2000 200hp RAM Ficht Outboard (E200FPXSSC). 

Two months in I had the engine serviced.  I was alarmed out with a dead EMM 2 miles out of Dana Point.  I used a local certified mechanic here in SoCal.  I could only find one guy.  He sent the EMM to DFI for service.

Well we were out this Saturday and without any alarms or lights, it wouldn't start about 2 hours into our morning fishing.  We were drift fishing, starting it about every 1/2 hour and repositioning.  It was on the 4th start.  Cranking dead.  No other warning.

It will crank and per the diagnostic softward I am getting above the 200 min rpm (250 to 257 rpm).  But there is no combustion sound only the spinning.  I checked the 10a boxed fuses and 20a inline fuse.  That's about the limit of my tech skills.  Oh yea, I also flip around the relays in the fuse box.  They are the same p/n and I flipped the trim with ignition (just in case).

Plenty of good gas and oil.  So I am guessing dead fuel pump?  Or ignition circuit fault somewhere?

Hopefully, there is a warrany with DFI if only 60-day out.

Is there a list of certified Ficht Tech still around?  I'm in Orange County (So Cal).

Mike

Admiral

DFI Technology is not associated with Evinrude in any way. They are a privately owned independent repair company with their own warranties and service policies.

Here is a link to find Evinrude dealers in your area.
https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/find-a-dealer.html