Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: My 2000 Ram E200fplssh will not start !

BluewaterBill,

That's understood got it.

I will restructure my questions and post again.

Regarding, DFI.  The EMM is fine.  The problem is somewhere in the electrical circuit.

I am working with the ONLY certified Ficht mechanic in South OC (I am slipped in Dana Point).

The E-Tec Dealers in the area referred me to him.

Mike

Mate

VerySpeedy,

While you may not be around from 2014, I hope someone here still has opinions and input on 2000 Ficht 200 hp engines.  i have the same make and model.  AND the same problem real-time.  I've been fighting with it for four weekend now.

It is not the EMM, per the tech center.

As I posted two weeks back.  The engine wouldn't start with no warning.  Worked find to get me out 1.5 miles out of Dana Point.  Worked find for a couple of reposition runs (fishing on the drift).  Then nothing but crank...crank...crank.

I've check:

30psi fuel pressure

good fuel: pulls a quart from the squeeze bulb

good fuses: good in box (10A's) and main 20A

cranking at ~250 rpm

shot quick start in intakes - no combustion

pulled 4 of 6 plugs and gap is good

I am working with a certified Ficht in the area (only one for 30 miles).  I may need to pull the boat out of my slip, which means renting a truck and trailer i.e. $$$.  I did that four months back and the Ficht Mech did a full tune up and service.  That's why he is walking me through a dozen narrow it down tasks.  

This weekend I am checking the Capacitor and Starter Solenoid.

But I am hoping to hear other suggestions here, which I will attempt on Saturdays until I narrow this issue down.

Mike

Admiral

If no ignition when trying to restart, those older style EMMs often were the problem, but would then start after a long time to cool down internally.  Off shore sometimes removing the motor cover for quicker cool down helped. The BRP built EMMs have better quality and higher temp rated components.

To know for sure, you have to troubleshoot the whole system when the motor is not starting.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.