Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

My 2008 75hk e-tec won't start

Hi

I'm having start problems with my 2008 75hk e-tec. I had a trained Evinrude technician to fault find on the engine. He has cleaned the internal fuel loop, and changed one fuel injector. At the workshop the motor works fine, but as soon as I put the boat on the water it will not start. (The temperature has been around 4 deg C.) 

After cranking the engine for a while, he removed the spark plugs, they appeared to be dray.

He has also checked the stator, but not the capacitor.

He finally got it starting by using start gas aerosol. When it starts, it runs just fine.

Does anybody have any ideas, appreciate any help, thanks allot?

Geirpip

Admiral

Re: My 2008 75hk e-tec won't start

If it started up by spraying fuel into the engine (not a recomended procedure) that often means the electrical system was not putting out enough current to power the injectors correctly. The 55 volt system including stator and capacitor has to be checked as well as the starter motor and cables to make sure the flywheel is rotating fast enough to develop the necessary current needed. There are other items that could give similar symptoms.

If you are in the US or Canada, your tech can contact the Dealer Support Team for assistance in troubleshooting your engine.

If you cannot get satisfaction from your dealer, email brp.care@brp.com with the serial number, dealer name, and a brief history.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.