Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

My main fuse keeps blowing

As soon as I turn the key the fuse keeps blowing. If i disconnect the purple wire from the key switch or the top plug to the EMM it doesn't blow. What could it be?
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: My main fuse keeps blowing

Oh yeah, the motor is an etec 60.
Highlighted
Admiral

If you are doing this yourself, trace the wiring harness and look for any chafing or rubbed areas that could be shorting. If you cannot find anything, you should have a dealer tech look at the system for you. Be sure to eliminate the guages and boat wiring  also.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you sir. This all started after having a dead battery and trying to start it with a weak battery. After charging the battery it started and ran for about 3 seconds and turned off. Does that tell you anything?
Highlighted
Captain

I have had the same problem, it turned out the wiring harnass was rubbing against  the engine block and eventually wore through and blew the fuse over and over.