Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Re: NEW G2 250, Spark Plugs Already?

As a dealer tech, I only have a few G2's that have over 80 hours on them. We have not seen any spark plugs issues yet.
Highlighted
Skipper

My software is updated regularly because it is a lemon and in the shop more than I get to use it.

It had QC8WEP and after 100 hours the service tech found that 3 of the 6 iridium tabs had fallen off.

Of course, they fall into the combustion chamber which is bad and it increases the plug gap considerably, which is bad too.

BRP is fully aware of this issue yet has not warned any of the dealers or us owners to replace them.

Because mine needed a whole new powerhead at 600 hours (oh joy), they sent the updated plugs which aparently have the iridium tabs plated onto the electrode. These are QC8WEPIA

Everyone should be watching this issue closely and sharing info because BRP does not have the integrity to keep us informed.

Highlighted
Skipper

No canned answer to that info huh?

Highlighted
Admiral

I have not seen that plug problem either. It sounds like a production problem at Champion Spark Plugs and a number of faulty ones got into the distribution system.  It couldn't be very many as there is no widespread discussion among dealers or techs about this.  

The way many folks are today, if it were a well known problem, it would be headline news on every boating forum and website on the 'net.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

took my boat to dealer  code 114 they changed plugs because they were carbonized 75%;thought that was problem but 5 hours later code114again,changed keyswitch but problem still exist because they used one on shelf and not updated one.brp needs to update dealers before owners like in my case.thanks to enation 

Highlighted
Admiral

code 114 is loss of network communication. That could be a bad harness, intermittent connection, or even a software mismatch. See your dealer for the latest software upgrades for the engine and controls and troubleshooting the networking.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.