Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: NMEA connection

Here is an article that may help you out.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/NMEA2000.html

Be sure to read and understand the instruction sheets that come with the Evinrude networking components. You may need a dealer to set up the trim calibrations using a laptop and to be sure the instance settings on the motor are correct.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Having just gone through the same exercise (with a Garmin GPSMap 742), if it's like mine, you'll need to make sure the engine is running, or at least that the key is on, before you can access some of the data fields on the Garmin. I drove myself nuts before I figured that out. For me, the most helpful info is the fuel data. I configured the data field overlay on my chart to show mpg, fuel rate and fuel remaining.
Captain

Hanks. I've read that before but doesn't show my specific engine. I found a 4 wire adapter with a dust cap. Is there only one?
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Admiral

If your connector has the same colored 4 wires, then that it what you use.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Ok got it. Do i need to disconnect the engine from the starting battery as i'm hooking everything up? Is there an order of events i need to follow? Power the network first, then reconnect the engine? Just want to ensure i'm protecting the Etec!
Admiral

Always disconnect the battery when working on the boat's or motor's electrical system.

Captain

Well, the network is setup and the Etec is communicating with the Garmin. But the Garmin can only spit out certain data. It is the Garmin echoMAP Chirp 74sv and does not show engine hours. Some of the other fields, i'm not sure if they are water pressure or what. I can setup ranges for the various fields though.

Can someone tell me what ranges i should use for oil pressure, water pressure, oil temp? I know RPMS I will set a max of 7,000 (which should never happen, but don't want to see redline when i'm nearing 6,000).

Thanks,
Skipper

I have a GPSMap 742. I don't know if it looks the same or not, but I found that some data shows up on some screens and not others (like engine hours). For me there was a lot of trial and error just going through every possible menu combination. Mine lets me change what a particular gauge shows by pressing on the screen and then selecting "replace data" and that gives me a menu of what my options are (only some of which will actually work).
Captain

Thanks Maritime. I have an email into Garmin support as the manual is of little use. I will also play around with the screens, but mine isn't touchscreen. I'm also going to update the software as i doubt the dealer did it. Will post results in this thread.
Captain

Garmin emailed. The other engine data is not stored on the engine data screen, but under the "numbers" screen. I was also able to modify the overlay on my other charts and put the data in the corners there.