Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

NMEA output on 75hp e-tec

[ Edited ]

A friend of mine suggested that there might be a way for me to connect my 2009 e-tec 75hp engine to my Garmin GPS 441S via an nmea output somewhere in the harness.

The Garmin can read such data, but is there a way to connect it to the engine without buying sensors and the like? And if so, is there a chart or something for me to identify the data wires?

Highlighted
Captain

Re: NMEA output on 75hp e-tec

[ Edited ]

You'll need Engine Interface Cable, P/N 764164. This cable provides the correct connection to the engine's EMM and to the standard NMEA 2000 DeviceNet-style connector. Add a tee connector to the NMEA network in your boat, and you should be able to read the engine as a buss device on any NMEA 2000 compatible device.

By the way, the NMEA 2000 connector on the engine is located in front of the EMM, near the starter solenoid.

Hope this helps.

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Skipper

[ Edited ]

Thanks John!

Went by the store today and picked up some NMEA 2000 components.

For anyone else considering this kind of thing, you will need the following part numbers as a minimum if you do not already have a NMEA 2000 network on the boat.

0766026 (new part # for 075164) EMM Cable assembly

0765132 drop cable to connect from T to GPS

0764157 power node--needed to power the network

0764155 terminator for the unused open T-port  (package includes a male and female, you only need the female)

All items cost me about $100 total.

Anyway, fired up the system and I get RPM, eng temp and fuel burn available on my GPS 441s

P9170017_800.JPGP9170021_anno_800.JPGP9170020_800.JPGP9170019.JPG

Skipper

HI Seaviper,

I have a 2008 E-TEC networked into a Lowrance LMS 522.  I only get EMM information to show up when the T-TEC is running.  Is this true with your instalation?  Seems like the bigger E-TECS only need for the key to be in the "ON" position to read "Engine Hours" for example.  When my key is in the "ON" position the "Temp" shows up as 32 deg F.  The "RPM"  "Engine Hours" etc all show flashing zeros.  Do I have something set wrong?

Jim

Admiral

[ Edited ]

SeaViper,

Your network wiring circuit is incorrect. You need the terminating resistor at both ends of the network, hence their name, and the motor cable has to " T " into the system with a tee-fitting  just like the GPS and Power cables do. The other resistor goes where your motor cable is attached now. You will need another  Tee-fitting for the engine cable.

At the top of the page, click on ACCESSORIES, then I-COMMAND SIMULATOR, then NETWORK DESIGN TOOL, and click on your components to see how to wire things up.

You should also download the I-Command installation manual from the OWNERS CENTER at the top of the page.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@Johnnielund wrote:

I only get EMM information to show up when the T-TEC is running.  Is this true with your instalation?  Seems like the bigger E-TECS only need for the key to be in the "ON" position to read "Engine Hours" for example.  When my key is in the "ON" position the "Temp" shows up as 32 deg F.  The "RPM"  "Engine Hours" etc all show flashing zeros.

JohnnieLund,

The 90hp and smaller motors have a different wiring system than the V4 and V6 motors do. On the V motors, you can hear the electric fuel pump run when you turn the key to ON as the 12 volt circuit is energized. You do not hear the pump on 90hp and smaller as that electrical system does not "fire up" until the flywheel is turning, so no engine I-Command information is being generated until the motor is running.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you Bluewater Bill.

Skipper

Bill,

You are correct. Anyone building a network should go with the NMEA 2000 compliant architecture.

However, the termination resistors are there as part of the specification in order to reduce line reflections when devices are disconnected from the network. As I am not planning on ever disconnecting any devices when the network is active, I think my setup is adequate for the time being.

That being said,  I will be adding the extra T and termination in the near future in order to bring my network into NMEA 2000 compliance.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Just did a trip down to Flamingo Florida out to Shark River yesterday. The NMEA network worked flawlessly.  The fuel burn data is really accurate. For example, when the Garmin calculated that I had used 6.2 gallons based on the fuel burn reported by the e-tec, my 6.2 gallon tank went dry (It's supposed to be a 6.6 gallon tank, but the pump showed 6.2 when I filled it up).

Its amazing to be able to see fuel burn data and to be able to adjust rpm/speed to get the best economy. 

Skipper

I may be wrong, but I think I remember reading or hearing that it is not good to let an E-TEC run dry.

Jim