Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Need to buy a 9.9 hp

One of my hot fishing spots is only available to Kayaks, Canoes, and boats w/ a max 9.9hp.  Since I'm going to get my girls out fishing with me now, I plan on buying a good size johnboat for fishing, shrimping, crabbing, and put the fastest and most power motor on that is legal.

I remember reading articles several years back that some companies measure the HP or torque at the prop vs others measuring at the top of shaft.  I also remember something about 2strokes continue to have more HP then the 4strokes.

Can anyone correct me on this, and does anyone have any suggestions on looking for the most powerful 9.9 hp available?  I'm in the early shopping part and would like to build a good package by end of October.

Thank you in advance, 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Need to buy a 9.9 hp

[ Edited ]

Due to the EPA and their emission requirements in force since 1998 and California's emission laws, there are basically no portable lightweight 2-stroke motors in the 9.9hp size range anymore. There are only the carbureted 4-strokes that are much heavier and have to be carefully handled and stored to avoid spilling oil out of them.

Evinrude is said to be developing smaller motors with the E-TEC system but none are available at this time below 15hp.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Need to buy a 9.9 hp

@JGFLA wrote:

I remember reading articles several years back that some companies measure the HP or torque at the prop vs others measuring at the top of shaft.  I also remember something about 2strokes continue to have more HP then the 4strokes.

For over 25 years, outboard horsepower has been measured at the propshaft per ICOMIA 28-83 standards that all manufacturers comply with.

Horsepower is horsepower whether it is a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke.

Torque in the mid-range is what makes the difference in drivability between the 2 technologies for the most part. Engine efficiency and design is constantly changing; what was what a few years ago may be completely different today even though the products might still look similar.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.