Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

New 2017 90 hp etec oil issue?

I recently purchased a new 2017 90 hp etec and noticed large air pockets in the oil lines, I spoke with my loc dealer and they suggested running the motor in winterization mode. I did as suggested and the air pockets were purged from the oil lines, I removed the engine cover to check after using for the day and noticed the the air pockets had returned. (1 inch long). I called my loc dealer and they said it would be 3 weeks before they could look at it, am I in danger of doing damage to the engine if I continue to run it? Will the limp mode kick in if it senses the air pockets? Is there a simple fix. I did notice oil around all of the push locks on top of the oil pump is this normal?
Admiral

Re: New 2017 90 hp etec oil issue?

there should not be oil on top of the pump or oil connections.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hello BluewaterBill,

I brought the boat back to my local dealer and they cut the oil lines back a 1/2 inch and reinstalled but this did not resolve the issue, I still have air pockets in the lines and the pushlock fittings are wet with oil. The dealer is going to contact Evinrude to discuss what to do next and mentioned that they may recommend swapping out the oil pump but we’re not sure if this is what they would do? Any suggestions would be appreciated...I am concerned about doing any long term damage if I continue to run the engine, I do run the winterization mode before taking out to purge the lines. Will the motor go into safe mode if no oil is detected in the lines by the time the air pocket reaches the engine if it does?
Admiral

Without seeing or testing anything, we cannot comment on your engine's condition. Leaking oil from the pump and the lines attached to the pump by push-lock is a concern.

Keep in touch with your tech to be sure they stay in contact with their dealer support team at Evinrude. 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Will the engine go into safe mode if no oil is detected at any of the engine internal lube points due to an air pocket in the oil lines???
Admiral

The NO OIL alarm sounds in there is no electrical pulse at the pump or if there is no  oil pressure signal. 

Skipper

Somehow air is getting into the system and not sure how?
Highlighted
Admiral

Are the air bubbles along the length of the oil lines or is there only perhaps a gap where the line enters the fitting on the engine block?

You are talking about the oil lines coming directly from the pump and not the recirculation lines from the bottom to the upper part of the motor, correct? Those will normally have air bubbles in them.

Skipper

The lines going from the top of the pump to the side of the motor along the side of the oil tank on the port side seem to be ok now, they did have 1/2 “ to 1” air pockets the length of the lines. Their is one line on the top of the pump that runs down the starboard side of the engine that has several 1/2” air pockets?
Admiral

The starboard side of the motor has separate recirculation lines that will normally have bubbles in them.

What does your dealer say about the other lines coming out of the pump? He should be in contact with the factory for you.