Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

New 2019 E90SNL

I recent ordered the engine above and I am having it installed on my boat. I was just wondering a few things. First how long in general will the oil last in the internal 3 quart tank if you are using XD100 or is a remote oil tank really needed? Second the dealer (boater's world) who sold me on the engine stated it was the pontoon version. My boat is an old 1976 starcraft holiday. He stated there isn't much difference in the pontoon to non-pontoon version just the gear ration is different but the pontoon version was built a little stronger. The pontoon engines where available for shipping right away or it was 5 weeks out for the non-pontoon version. Even though it is probably to late now was that a mistake to get the pontoon version? Thrid the marina that is doing the installation is ordering the rigging I will need. I have a question on the gauge that I might need.

I have a Garmin ECHOMAP Plus 73sv that was just installed and it is NMEA 2000 compatible. Do you still need a seperate tachometer with the system check? I would just like some knowledge on the subject so I am more knowledgable about what is going on and not be lead wrong. Any info or advice someone has would be apprciated.

Admiral

Re: New 2019 E90SNL

Evinrude does not recommend their pontoon boat engine series being installed on conventional hulls. The main reason is the motor mounts are softer to dampen vibrations which could affect boat handling when up on plane with traditional flat bottom and V-hull watercraft. Use the recreational 90 HP if it is going to be mounted on a regular boat.

Many customers report a season of running on a single tank of oil with the 3-cylinder 90 HP, but it depends on how you run it as the oil delivery to the motor's internal parts are controlled by the onboard computer, EMM, depending on engine rpm and load on the engine.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

You do need either a System Check gauge or tachometer and a warning horn or the equivalent NMEA2000 Evinrude gauge to alert the boat operator of an engine abnormality. An Evinrude approved warning system is necessary for warranty coverage.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

OK thanks I wish I had known that when buying the motor. The Boater world sales guy was insistant that the Pontoon series was fine and the marina putting the motor on didn't seem to have an opinion one way or the other.

I guess both the tachometer and the fish finder can be hooked up at the same time? I just didn't want any redundency if it wasn't necessary. 

Captain

As an owner of a pontoon series 90 mounted on a flat bottom houseboat, I can say that these engines have excellent mid range torque.
My top speed is 26 mph and the softer motor mounts are no problem. In fact may be an advantage reducing vibration on your aluminum hull. I can agree with Evinrude that this engine with the softer mounts should not be used on something like a 16 ft center console boat that can run 45 mph. Your type of boat should be fine with it. If it is a problem the lower two mounts could be easily replaced with the regular engine mounts.
Oil consumption will vary with how the engine is run. I top my oil tank up every few outings so not sure about how long it will last. You should have no need for an external tank.
The system check tach is a good instrument which contains the warning lights. This tach connects to the standard engine wiring harness. The IconPro tach has advantages of being a NMEA 2000 gauge and gives a lot more data and capabilities including fuel and trim readings.. You will have to add an Evinrude NMEA interface cable to connect the IconPro and)or your Garmin unit. The amount of engine data that you will be able to see on your Garmin unit will depend on it's engine display screen.