Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

New 2019 G2 250 blown powerhead, Evinrude denied warranty

[ Edited ]

Having a real hard time with this answer and want to see if anyone else here has had an issue like this.

I have a blown powerhead on my G2 that was new this spring, it has 38 hours on it. The reason for the denial was they found water in the block, the motor is on a bracket and they didn't get to do a water test on the boat. The issue is this boat never went underwater and I have video and sworn statements from the gas dock and tow boat to prove this.

It happened on a quiet grey day in september I was getting gassed up to go offshore the following day, I left the gas dock and started going the .5 miles across little bay in NH to my mooring. After clearing the marina's field, I gave it throttle and a few seconds later just as I was about to plane the motor completely died. I tried to restart it and it would turn over but not start, then it just made a buzzing sound like the starter wasn't engaging, I thought I had a fuel issue and then a battery issue and called for a tow.

I got towed back to my mooring and tied up and went to shore to go get my trailer to pull it and bring to the dealer. I get a call from the dealer a few days later asking me when the boat sank and I instantly felt sick. Upon talking to them they told me they see that the motor had an issue in the logs before it blew up but because they found water and they didn't get to water test it first evinrude won't cover it. In my troubleshooting while stuck I checked the water seperator, dumped no water and then reinstalled and checked again and it was dry after turning the key to prime.

My boat is a 1999 Steigercraft Chesapeake the PO added an armstrong bracket and swim platform and closed in the transom. He set it up just like the hull comes from the factory today. I've done some fiberglass repair with a boat builder and was planning to make this a clean machine and keep it for years, though for this year we just wanted to get fishing so we didn't do anything cosmetic yet. We replaced a few spots on the deck and started fixing little blemishes with more coming this winter. I wouldn't call any of the setup an issue as it comes from the factory now with the same config, a G2 and the hull has barely changed since mine was built (flush trim tabs is the only mod from factory since then).

I also fished it every opportunity I had since putting it in the water in mid July with no issues. The 38 hours is since then and I've been raving about my motor until now. No issues going offshore or in family rides with 7+ people since it's been in the water.

This boat didn't sink, I was in a calm bay with no one out with my mooring in sight so no waves over the back. The only thing I can think of that would allow water into the intake would be going from 4.5krpm to 0 instantly WHEN THE MOTOR DIED causing the trailing water to come over the back (even this seems unlikely). I get that Evinrude doesn't cover water ingestion issues, but clearly this issue started or was completely due to something else failing on the motor.

I am going to be stuck with the 15k+ bill to repair, but even if I do is this the norm with evinrude? Will every warranty claim moving forward be denied because of this?

My dealer has been good so far and I think they are telling me everything, but I really would like evinrude to step up and make this right

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: New 2019 G2 250 blown powerhead, Evinrude denied warranty

You can call and/or email Evinrude with the engine serial number, dealer name, and the story you posted here and they will look into your situation.

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

BRP Evinrude (844) 345 4277

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Just to update everyone here, Evinrude took a look into this and still didn’t make it right. They didn’t even ask to view the video or pictures from the incident. They keep saying we found water so we are not covering it, despite the proof that it never went underwater.

I’m still not sure what to do on this, am I going to drop 15k on this motor and have this happen again? Has this been anyone else’s experience with BRP?

I have zero trust in this motor or manufacturer at this point. Brand new motors shouldn’t just blow up and when they do the builder shouldn’t look for any possible reason to decline the warranty.
Captain

If water was ingested, would not this be an insurance claim?

Skipper

That is the direction I have to take and yes it will be covered less my deductable. My rates will go up, but at least I won't be out the full cost of my repower all at once.

I also am now afraid BRP will use this for every future issue and say they have on file that this motor got wet so no coverage on anything. I had an old boat with an old motor and really wanted to get away from worrying about this constantly (I've been around equipment long enough to know there is never no worrying). That is why I went brand new with a "best in class warranty", that statement seems like a joke right now.

Has anyone else had to do this when they thought it should have been BRP to make it right? Did they use this against you for future claims?

If that is the case I wonder if I am better off just using the insurance money and buying a new motor instead of repairing this one.

Captain

[ Edited ]

If you get this engine repaired, make sure to find the cause for water ingestion, otherwise it may happened again.

Why did the Dealer think it's been for a swim? Are all exposed 12 volt positive connection  corroded, which is what happens to a swamped engine?

Captain

Sorry to hear of your issue and all the stress that goes along with it.  Hope you can work through it.  I had hoped that Evinrude would 'have gone the extra mile' for you to determine the cause at least.  Keep us posted.   

Captain

[ Edited ]

In answer to the earlier question, Evinrude's warranty coverage is second to none.

They even cover some engines out of warranty. Try that with other brands.

There must be some information missing either from Dealer or owner.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Have you called the number or sent a message yet from the information given to you in a previous post?

What is the engine serial number, where are you located, and what is the dealer's name?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I did contact them as you had suggested. Engine serial 05529681. Newburyport, MA and I go through Riverfront Marine.

Same answer, they found water so they are denying any responsibility. Also gave me a hard time that they never did a water test.

I really do wish they had looked into it more as I know this problem happened before water got in. I’d even be ok with “this is what happened and then water got in making it so we can’t cover it”. Hopefully they are replacing whatever caused this with the power head fix as I won’t be so calm if it happens again or endangers anyone. I’m taking the path of least resistance and will just deal with the insurance process and eat the deductibles.

Certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it will take a long time before anyone hears anything positive from me about evinrude.