Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: New 2019 G2 250 blown powerhead, Evinrude denied warranty

[ Edited ]

Just out of curiosity what type  and make of boat and what type of boating do you do?

Is there anything about your rig, the setup, or the type of use would be considered different or unusual than an average family customer's boat for normal recreational usage?

Are there any hull or transom fittings or transducers that could spray water onto the motor and then be ingested through an air intake? Think of a station wagon driven on a dirt road with the back window open. That low pressure area in the back pulls in the dust and debris from the road, just as an outboard (any make) could ingest water spray.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I have the same engine, a 2016 model an yes I had 3 powerheads replaced 2 were a rigging issue by the dealer and the last one almost 2 yrs ago was unexplainable. BRP sent out a tech inspected everything approved of the  repair job and  I was back on the water with a brandnew completaly dressed powerhead in 10 days. Their warranty is second to none. My dealer took care of everything, I never had to make a call. Something is missing here and I sure would like to know what.

Highlighted
Captain

What does the dealer say? They should be able to communicate with BRP you should not have to.
Highlighted
Skipper

Dealer keeps saying ingested water is insurance not warranty problem. Same as BRB they didn’t even ask for video of the incident. The dealer is starting to get bitchy too since I contacted BRP direct, I only contacted brb after my question about future warranty coverage went unanswered for over a week.

I’m sure they’d just eat the $15k bill on a brand new motor without asking all the questions...

As for my boating this summer it was extremely limited I have two toddlers and a newborn so most of my fishing is close to home. The day this happened I was just fueling up to go offshore the next day. Everything went south on my way back from the gas dock to my mooring. I can see my mooring while fueling so not far.

My theory is the fuel pump died leading to more damage. I think the water was after this. The dealer even said “looks like you had some issues in the moments leading up to this” while looking at the motor logs.
Highlighted
Skipper

I’m not happy but I have insurance and the whole winter to get things settled. I’m sick of this whole situation.

Let my story be a buyer beware though that they will actively work to not cover you. 10 years would be great if they actually covered like other manufacturers.
Highlighted
Captain

Just a thought, Do you think water could have gotten into the motor while flushing it? or even tilting the motor to high when moored? Just something that crossed my mined after reading your post.

Highlighted
Captain

Warranty runs as normal after repairs.

As speckman1 mentioned, a good dealer will do the lobbying with Evinrude, and seeing your initial post suggesting your dealer is good, they should have done that for you. What does the dealer suggest is the cause for water entry?

What issues, you mentioned happened before the fatal breakdown, did dealer find on the diagnostic program?

Only way the fuel pump could introduce water in the engine is by having water in the fuel tank. If fuel pump fails, the engine will just stop. Period.

If ingestion of engine was from external source through air intake: Insurance.

If ingestion was from internal faulty or failing part(s): Warranty.          This however should probably have shown up before 38 hours.

As asked in post #11, is there any part of the boat creating spray around motor, and also asked in post #16, was motor flushed fully tilted up?

Water ingestion may well have happened at an earlier stage, only manifesting itself at the last trip.

Evinrude warranty is good and certainly better than other manufacturer. This is from experience dealing with different brands.

Your dealer must have concluded, without doubt, the problem was not warranty, and conveyed their findings to Evinrude. As poster # 12 said, they were not shy covering his engine twice from shoddy installation and once from failure.

Highlighted
Skipper

Dealer insists it was a wave over the back. It was a large volume of water, there is no way it would have run at all with all that in there so it has to be at the time the motor quit.

I suspect the fuel pump went causing it to die right as it was about to plane. This would explain the trailing water in a calm bay. Similar to someone with no clue about boats going full throttle to N. The power head could have blown when trying to restart but as I said something else died first.

Spray would be unlikely the cause of a high volume and would have been a problem earlier or during a longer run. Also never flushed while up and had no issues with fuel quality, though I didn’t test the tank after I filled up but if that marina had a bad batch of gas I would have heard about it.

I hope to be wrong about evinrude in the future or better yet never have to deal with them again and I’d be really happy. This is just my experience in the last month.

I believe the dealer is good although they do have a new service manager that has been very unprofessional since BRP contacted me. I’d fire one of my techs if they ignored a customer that long or didn’t give them straight answers. Everyone has a bad day though hopefully he turns it around.
Highlighted
Captain

I live on the ocean and have been out in some pretty nasty stuff. Just aking, how often have you guys seen a wave go completely over an outboard engine?  Maybe I'm naive but that would most likely sink or swamp most boats.

We don't even really get 'breakers' like that here; that I could imagine a wave going over top of an engine...

Highlighted
Captain

I never had a wave of solid water break over the boat or engine but I can tell you I have been in the nastiest storms with rain coming down like it was solid water pouring down on  me with winds approaching 60 miles. Never had an issue.