Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

New BRP Evinrude/Johnson Geniune Parts Dura Tank 6-Gallon Fuel Tank 5008623, 5008621 LEAKING!!!

[ Edited ]

Greetings people. My first post here.

So, I receintly purchased a 14' 9" Zodiac Futura MarkIII (hard floor inflatable boat) and an Evinrude E-tec 40HP. It's an awesome setup. Totally happy with it.

I do have an issue with the BRP Fuel Tanks that I purchased.        

I purchased three of these fuel tanks from a seller on Amazon:

BRP Evinrude/Johnson Geniune Parts Dura Tank 6-Gallon Fuel Tank 5008623, 5008621.

All three of them leak from around where the fuel hose connects. Not from around the filling port. 

Example, I'll go out boating all day, When I get home that evening (there is no evidence of leakage), I'll disconnect the fuel tank, keep the vent open, and set the tank on the side of my house out of the sun. The next day, there will be fuel all over the top (and running down the side) of the tank adjecent to the fuel hose/guage connection. The vent being open implies the tank is not pressurized, why would fuel go from the bottom of the tank up to where the hose connection is and leak to the outside? I'm perplexed.

Can anyone offer and ideas/ reason/ solutions?

Thanks in advance.

sam

Admiral

Re: New BRP Evinrude/Johnson Geniune Parts Dura Tank 6-Gallon Fuel Tank 5008623, 5008621 LEAKING!!!

[ Edited ]

It is possible that the fitting assembly and fuel level gauge have a gasket or o-ring leakage. Contact the seller or Amazon to see about repair or replacement.  If the seller is an authorized dealer and you have the receipt, you can check with a local dealer about warranty repair if less than a year old or contact http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Re: New BRP Evinrude/Johnson Geniune Parts Dura Tank 6-Gallon Fuel Tank 5008623, 5008621 LEAKING!!!

Thanks for the suggestion BluewaterBill.

Turns out that I didn't need to inquire with the local dealer.

What I needed to do was read the instructions that came with the fuel tanks!!!

It turns out that the vent that I was opening (on top of the fuel cap, in the center), that I thought was relieving the pressure in the tank - was not doing that, and the tank was still pressurized. The vent that I was opening is a one way vent. It only lets air in when you are running the motor.

To de-pressurize the fuel tank at the end of the day, you have to un-screw the main fuel cap (like you would to remove the fuel cap to fill the tank) a quarter of a turn. You'll then hear the air rushing out of the tank, de-pressurizing it.

Lesson learned, read the instructions.