Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: New G2, advice on 2.7 vs 3.4

[ Edited ]

Everyone has their priorities. I haven't been in 2.7 g2 but I have been in a 200HP g1 and owned a 200HP HO g1 and now own a 225 ho g2. Based on that I wouldn't go 2.7 L. The performance gain trumps the 6% price difference for me. From a resale POV of view the HO wins by a mile. There is > 25% more displacement in the HO and the engines weights are very close. Only the HO has the starboard-starboard engine configuration. That design was to minimize powerhead failures due to heat related failures. My understanding was that it wasn't doable in the 70 degree block. Something to consider.

The last point is the 3.4 litre v6 g2 has been available for close to 4 years now and has gone through several major revisions. Alot of the issues reported that I have seen are on the earlier revisions of the motor. I have one of the later revisions and have seen no issues. Not saying this will be or is the case with the 2.7 but ....

Captain

For me it's not the price, it's the weight. The 2.7 can be had with the trac mid and be 495 Lbs. which is still heavy. The 2.7 gear ratio is an issue too. Perfect for me would be the 225 HO, with the trac mid. Would be under 500 and I'd love the extra power. 

Captain

[ Edited ]

I doubt a 3.4L TRAC steering model engine would be under 500 lbs. A block that is 26% bigger is going to weigh more than 5 lbs.

Also remember that with the TRAC mid section extra hardware has to be added such as steering cylinder mechanism and rigging. This weight is already factored into a model with DPS.

Captain

No, the 2.7 and 3.4 weigh almost the same, displacement has little to do with weight. The DPS weighs almos 40 Lbs, so the 3.4 would be about 498 lbs. Front mounts are really light, Uflex and SeaStar Pro weigh 11 lbs, and they are in front of the motor, which is trivial but better. 

I just wish the 2.7 was availalbe with the 1.85, or the 3.4 with the trac. 

Captain

[ Edited ]

I really doubt that they weight the same. This block is bigger the pistond are  bigger , the crank is likely heavier, the exhaust system is heavier. There is no way the difference is less than 5 pds. It likely 15 to 20 lbs.

According to the Evinrude site.

250HO with DPs 20 inch  545 lbs

200 HP (2.7) with DPS 528

200 HP (2.7) trac           496

This means the DPS weighs 528 -496 = 32 lbs

If we subtract 32 lbs from the weight of a 250HO 545 - 32 = 513lbs

So the big block weighs 513 - 496 = 17 lbs more.

If you add the 11 pds of steering cylinder gear you need on a trac you  get 524 lbs.

This means the trac misection version of the big block weighs 20 pds more than the DPS version.

This is insignificant from my point of view I would prefer the DPS for 20 pds of weight.

Admiral

@wavetowave wrote:

Perfect for me would be the 225 HO, with the trac mid. Would be under 500 and I'd love the extra power. 

the 3.4L motors are not available with the Trac midsection

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

@BluewaterBillwrote:

@wavetowavewrote:

Perfect for me would be the 225 HO, with the trac mid. Would be under 500 and I'd love the extra power. 

We know that, he was wishing there was one.

Admiral

@muskiemouth wrote:

@BluewaterBillwrote:

@wavetowavewrote:

We know that, he was wishing there was one.

_________________________________________________________________________________

That is true but often our responses have to take into account that new readers visit here continuously and may not be familiar with the subject at hand or may mis-interpret an opinion as a fact.

We do appreciate your contributions here.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

Sorry, That's not quite accurate. 2.7 200 + DPS = 530 Lbs. The  200 HO + DPS = 539 Lbs. It's 9 Lbs different between the 200s. 

The 250 HO is actually listed at 537 Lbs, for some reason it's a little lighter. So it's only 7 Lbs different from the 2.7 200 to the 250 HO. Very minimal difference. 

The benefit of the Trac mid is the 35 Lbs DPS is removed, and a lighter, 10 Lb. front mount system is moved in front of the engine. I love the idea of the DPS, but on lighter boats where weight matters, it's really heavy.