Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

New G2, advice on 2.7 vs 3.4

Hey guys, I am narrowing down my new engine decision and almost for sure going with a new G2. I am re-powering a 22 performance V-hull, an Activator. I had a few questions about the 200, the 2.7 vs the 3.4 HO version. I am mainly asking the price difference and performance difference. The weight advantage of the 2.7 is so small, it would have to have a significant cost advantage to be worth it. How much more is the 200 HO. Have there been any side by side tests? 

I do know the HO has a gear ratio advantage, being lower numerically. (advantage to me anyway). 

Looking forward to hearing more.

Captain

Re: New G2, advice on 2.7 vs 3.4

Hi Wavetowave,

My semi-educated guess (for what it's worth) is this , after comparing the specs.:

The 3.4 L will be roughly 20 hp more with only .7 L more displacement. Power to weight ratio gain is nil for all practical purposes. The gear ratio is in favor of the 3.4 , as you've noted, making it maybe somewhere between 5 - 10 mph (at the outside best) faster. The 3.4 will only be working slightly less hard but, may be a bit more on fuel usage. So, it boils down to price, as you've noted, also.

I think the relatively small difference in performance will not justify the cost, on the surface. I bet the 2.7 performance will be satisfying enough! Regardless of the specific actual numbers. The only thing that would change this in favor of the 3.4 (for me & maybe you), would be (of course) if a particular dealer is hungry enough to cut you a reasonable price (plus throwing some other "goodies" like rigging etc.) making it worth it. In general though,  I don't think the price vs performance difference will be worth it! I don't know about you but, I'm just a penny pinching miser who would settle for the 2.7 L! I bet marketing is counting on (& hoping) people will spend more. They don't make it easy!!! I agree with you and can definitely see why you've asked about this. Let me know how you make out.

Best regards,
Lakerider
Admiral

For a performance hull and if you are looking for performance, the HO model is the way to go.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I don't know if it's a factor in your case. The DPS engines mount with about a 4" setback on either model. The 2.7l 200 is available with the G1 bracket and uses a traditional steering cylinder.
I don't deal with performance boats. Wouldn't gear ratio differences be able to be offset by prop pitch?
Captain

[ Edited ]

@Rickmcd53 Gear ratio and prop pitch have different effects. 

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2017/7/19/gears-a-cog-in-the-wheel?rq=gears

The G2 2.7 200 has the intergrated steering, they only offer the base 150 without integrated steering. 

Appreciate the replies but does anybody have any idea of price difference? That is really all I was asking. 

Captain

@BluewaterBill, thanks, was looking for the price difference. I agree about the HO in general, but maybe not in the 200 range, depending on the price. Evinrude does a major disservice having their pricing so hard to find. 

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@wavetowave wrote:

The G2 2.7 200 has the intergrated steering, they only offer the base 150 without integrated steering. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 150 thru 200 2.7L are available with the TRAC midsection -  no integrated power-assisted steering

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

C200PL 20" remote steering, G1 style bracket with no setback, MSRP 17,945
C200FL. 20" DPS steering 18,495
E200LH 20" DPS HO 19,910
25" engines add $200
Captain

I'd go with the 200 ho all day. Irrespective of the peak HP, the torque throughout the powerband is superior.

Captain

Hi Muskie,

In general I'm with you & agree!!! Priority wise between the two performance parameters of hp vs torque, torque is king & TRUMPS (not to be political here, ha,ha) horses all day long, as far as I'm concerned!!! (My objective here is not to debate that. cause I suppose many could.)

But, when "bang for the buck" comes into the picture as the main consideration, I would depart from choosing the 3.4 L in this case. I could be wrong but, with only 20 hp difference & only .7 L increased displacement, the overall performance difference (FOR THE MONEY) may not be that big as to be worth it?

I realize I'm contradicting myself but, many rules often times have exceptions where specifics are concerned. My guess is that this may be one of them. Again, because of price. And as stated before, I'm just a "penny pincher". Both engines will not disappoint.

All said... just a friendly debate here. This forum is by far better than THT! I call it THP (That Horrible Propaganda)!

Best regards,
Lakerider