Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

New Here... looking at used Evenrude 35...HELP!

So I've been looking for a used v-hull I can duck hunt with.  Came accross one locally that has an Evinrude 35 on it.  On the shaft it says 521cc.  I don't have model # but could go back to get it.   Just from the styling, It looks like '80's vintage to me.  I have NEVER owned an outboard before.  I don't know what to look for, or look OUT for.  Can I try to fire this up as it sits to see if it at least turns over (would need a battery and some fresh gas certainly) or does it need to bein the water to run it briefly.  I know it's water cooled and you wouldn't want to run it long that way.  I really have no clue how to evaluate something like this .  any tips appreciated!  Thanks!

Evenrude 35 photo.jpg

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: New Here... looking at used Evenrude 35...HELP!

That motor looks  like one of the early model 35's from the mid to later '70s.

Your best bet is to have an Evinrude tech check over the engine completely and give you a report on its health. Outboards last a long time if they receive good care, but can be a troublesome piece of equipment if they are neglected.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks for the reply!  I think you're right about a tech looking at it.  I did buy a compression tester and a spark tester and went back to try to perform both today.  I couldn't pull the manual starter back very well (I'm no guerilla, but I gave it my all).  The cord was sluggish to rewind, and I couldn't get a good solid pull out of it.  It is freezing temperatures today, so I wonder if that would account for it being difficult to pull (thick oil perhaps?)... or should it turn easy, regardless of ambient temperature?

I did note that:

-the lower unit oil looked new (no water, or milky oil)

-the plugs didn't look scorched

-inside of the housing cover was pretty clean, no scorch marks or anything.

I have the model # 35802B  but have so far been unable to find out the date of manufacture from that (Evinrude has on-line stuff only back to '97).

Leery of buying without better info on it, but mught just have to take a chance...

Highlighted
Mate

You were right on the money with your age estimate... it's a '78!

Highlighted
Admiral

Brand new gear oil may mean that there is a water leak and the oil was just changed to hide the fact. If you are interested in buying it, run it for a while then recheck the oil and see if it turns coffee or milky colored which indicates water intrusion.

The recoil could be stiff due to cold grease, or possibly in need of cleaning and lubrication.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.