Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

New Purchase of E-Tec 90hp

Getting ready this week to take advantage of Evinrude's great re-power offer, buying a new 90hp Etec. Had two questions that I need help with. I will be using a Evinrude recommended local dealer. Is there a way I tell that the engine I actually get is actually a 2012 model?  I saw a Evinrude Bulletin #PE282 for my 2004 Carolina Skiff 1965DLX model with a 75hp E-tec. The prop selection on the bulletin shows they used a 13 7/8" X 15" prop which took them to 4500-5500RPM. Would a 90hp take the same prop? The dealer I plan on using is not shown as a evinrude prop certification dealer on the evinrude web site. Is there a web site where you can see what prop is recommended for a 90hp E-Tec on a 2004 Carolina skiff 1965 DLX?

Admiral

Re: New Purchase of E-Tec 90hp

[ Edited ]

The model number on the serial number tag on the motor will have the letters I and N as the second and the third letters from the end in the complete model number sequence. For example -  E90DPLINR

I would start with a 17" propeller with your 90hp but make sure the dealer also has a 15" just in case. With a full tank of fuel and a normal load of people and gear, you want the motor to be in the 5200-5400 rpm range since the air is cold this time of year. That way your motor won't be lugging at  too low an rpm during those hot muggy July and August summer days when the motor output suffers.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thank You Bill. The helpful post  in identifying the model year is greatly appreciated. I was at the dealer today and was actually able to see my new engine delivered on the shipping pallet. I will use your info to validate the serial number has I & N. My dealer also said he thought he would start out testing with a 17" as you suggested and he will also have a 15'' to see what worked best on my Skiff. Sounds like I have the right dealer and looking forward to getting the E-tec installed. Again thanks for your post!

Skipper

I have a 2010 60 hp E-tec. I started with a 13 1/2 x 17 recommended by the dealer. Went up to a 19" pitch and got about 2 mph more speed when running by myself but very slow out of the hole. When my son and 3 of his kids were in the boat with me the 17 just wouldn't do it, but the 15 is supposed to do just fine. As someone told me, think of pitch like bicycle gears: smaller size = more torque but less speed. You might want to try a number of props unless the deal or your local marina are quite certain of the results.

Best of luck,
Mickey.
Captain

Picked my E-Tec 90hp up today and Boy am I pleased. Going from a 50hp Honda 4 stroke (WOT 22mph) made a world of difference as you might guess. Dealer went with the 15pitch prop which gets me to 5200rpm and about 38-40mph WOT on my 1965 DLX Carolina Skiff (flat bottom).  One issue I had is when I ran at WOT with just me in the boat, I started to get bouncing needed to back off throttle. Not sure what is causing that but I tried to raise engine some however still had bouncing. If anyone can share ideas on why the bouncing only at WOT, I would appreciate hearing your input? The E-Tec Re-power offer currently going on through April with free rigging and a SS prop is one heck of a deal!   So glad to be part of the E-nation now!

Admiral

By "bouncing" I assume that you mean porpoising where the bow rises and falls rapidly as speed increases.

Sometimes there is too  much weight in the stern - redistribute heavy items such as people, gear, batteries, etc. to the front or middle of the boat. Very often the motor is mounted too low on the transom and can be raised one or more holes for better handling. The boat bottom could have a rocker in it where it is not completely flat or it could be the overall design of the hull.

Depending on the boat and application, changing prop design can sometimes help, many high-performance propellers have bow-lifitng characteristics where other styles are known as stern-lifting. A Viper prop is considered bow-lifting.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Bill, Yes I should have said porpoising is what I am getting. They did use a Viper prop on my boat so it would be bow lifting as you said. As you suggested, when I have more people in the boat it shouldn't be a problem if we distribute the weight properly. I'll run like it is for now and if it continues t be an issue I will take your suggestion and see about raising the motor one hole.  Thanks for your quick reply.

Admiral

I'd start by raising it 2 holes first.

Captain

Bill, is there anyway to connect an Hour meter onto this motor? I saw one web blog that said the #776020 meter could be used on an E-Tec. Do you know of one that you could suggest for easy hook-up? Not sure how I will be able to track the hours so I know when my 300hr checkup is due.

Captain

A basic hour meter is wired into the key switch circuit via the purple wire (switched battery +) and a black wire (ground). There is normally an extra set of the purple & black wires within the MWS harness under the dash of the boat. Many times these wires are also used to power the other gauges (fuel, trim etc) when the boat is rigged. It would be a simple matter of "daisy-chaining" the wires from one of the gauges to the hour meter.

This type of hour meter works at key on  - hour meter ticks away. The only drawback is if you forget to turn off the key switch, the clock keeps ticking.

Hope this helps.

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.