Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: New Purchase of E-Tec 90hp

Thanks John ...need to visit my dealer again and look into the hour meter setup as you suggested.

Captain

I did have one more question. My dealer installed XD50 oil in my new 90hp. He told me in the smaller motors 90hp on down, XD50 is more than enough. He said the XD100 would just be overkill it is used mostly in the bigger 250HO and over.  Am I running any kind of risk during the breaking-in period using XD50? Will I be sacrificing anything with the motor's long term life by staying with the XD50? Would you suggest moving up to XD100 and can that be done after initially loading XD50 does anything need to be changed on the engine? Or am I just being over cautious?

Admiral

XD-50 is fine for your motor, you can also use XD-100 without changing anything if you wish - that provides the very best overall protection and corrosion resistance for your motor for just a few bucks more. Your 90 uses very little oil.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I ordered a 90 hp e-tec and dealer never said anything about free stainless prop. please let me know if it is supposed to come with one

Admiral

Talk to your dealer. A new boat with a new motor has a different sales promotion than a motor purchased to repower a boat.

Here are your 2 free rigging package choices if your new motor is purchased to repower an older boat:

1)  SystemCheck Rigging Package: Available for Model Year 2012 and earlier 40HP – 300HP Evinrude E-TEC

engines; single or dual Installation only. Rigging components include a choice of a remote control, a choice of

engine wire harness and ignition switch, a choice of oil tank, a choice of a stainless steel propeller and a choice

of a SystemCheck tachometer. MY2010 & 2012 engines with factory installed ICON actuators (engines

designated with DE in model description, i.e. DE250PX) are excluded.

2)  ICON Pro Rigging Package: Available for Model Year 2008 – 2012 40HP – 300HP Evinrude E-TEC engines;

single or dual Installation only. Rigging components include a choice of a remote control, a choice of engine

wire harness and ignition switch, a choice of oil tank, a choice of a stainless steel propeller and a choice in style

of an ICON Pro series 3.5in tachometer and speedometer with GPS antenna.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.