Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

New e150 - Aluminum to SS prop upgrade - thoughts??

Hello all! Long time lurker and proud new owner of an etec 150 on the back of a Four Winns H180. The boat and engine is perfect; but the performance guru in me has me searching for a new stainless prop.

The boat came with the standard aluminum 14 7/8" x 17 prop and will turn 5600 rpm fully loaded or 6000 rpm with just myself in it.

Will upgrading to a stainless Viper be a direct size for size replacement....as in the 14 3/4 x 17 viper prop or am I missing something? I understand these motors need to be kept in a certain RPM range at WOT and just want to be sure the new prop will do that! Is there a better prop I should be looking at for this type of boat and engine? Should I stick with BRP props?

Thanks for a the help and advice!!!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: New e150 - Aluminum to SS prop upgrade - thoughts??

There is no standard prop as the dealer is the one who has to make that decision when installing the motor. This applies to the US and Canadian market.

A 17" Viper should give you some more speed than a 17" aluminum prop. RPM may vary a bit but there are too many variables to  know for sure. You have to try one and record your test results both lby yourself and loaded down. The Vipers come in 1" increments to help fine tune your rig.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

150 Etec prop and engine height.

Congrats on the new boat, Greg.

I've got a similar question. I picked up my Glastron GT 180 and, like you it has an aluminum 17P prop. It turns about 5800 with my family in the boat and 3/4 tank of gas. I have two questions for the pros out there: 1) should I switch to Stainless, and 2) my motor is on the top hole and I think it is too low (can't see Anti-cavitation plate on plane). If I raise my motor a hole or two on the transom I think I'll be turning too many RPMs.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Trev

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 150 Etec prop and engine height.

Trev,

Propping is trial and error inless you have a sharp dealer who is knowledgeable with your rig. Try the SS prop to see where the revs are then raise the motor one hole at a time. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.