Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: New g2 problems

I brought a G2 300 in 2016 have 70 hours on it. It is truly an amazing motor. I still carnt belive that I can run 60mph in a 26' style cigarette boat fully loaded. Cruising at 45 I'm getting 3.2 miles a gallon. Steering does seem to be hard on and off though and I got a code 216 so have called dealer to have it fixed.
Skipper

Problems, yes, too many to list. Just came out of the shop a couple of weeks ago with 3 warranty claims and I am having to pull it out of dry stack tomorrow and take it to the dealer again. The engine shuts off with no warning, happened 3 times on Saturday nearly throwing my crew out of the boat, fault code 114. Still have the excessive spark knock fault codes even with the computer reprogram. Huge mistake buying the G2!

Highlighted
Captain

I hate hearing your problems...and this doesn’t help but, I’ll say I have two Ranger Boats both with G2’s and just love them!
Ranger Ryan
Captain

Fault code 114 is loss of NMEA network. This is likely a rigging problem, loose CANBUS connection somewhere.

Skipper

Understood, rigging has accounted for about 40% of my problems. Dealer tech was clueless on this install. 

Mate

I have 160.3 hours on my motors .

1)So far we stripped a power steering coupler which was originally plastic and they have switched to aluminum. however it is now hard to turn to one side periodicly which is a pain.

2) the 7 inch Icon now changes screens on its own.

3) the starboard motor raises on its own periodicly which is where the powersteering is located.

4) all my chrome accents are coroding and turning green. I wash my engine down with saltway after every use.

the engines were installed 8/16. I like them but I have to get it back to the dealer to work out a few more kinks.

Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your issues with an Evinrude E-TEC outboard. Please send an email with the engine serial number and dealer name to brp.care@brp.com along with a brief description of the motor's history.

@Adam9066 wrote:

I have 160.3 hours on my motors .

1)So far we stripped a power steering coupler which was originally plastic and they have switched to aluminum. however it is now hard to turn to one side periodicly which is a pain.

2) the 7 inch Icon now changes screens on its own.

3) the starboard motor raises on its own periodicly which is where the powersteering is located.

4) all my chrome accents are coroding and turning green. I wash my engine down with saltway after every use.

the engines were installed 8/16. I like them but I have to get it back to the dealer to work out a few more kinks.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

@Joel968 wrote:

Understood, rigging has accounted for about 40% of my problems. Dealer tech was clueless on this install. 

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience and describe your engine history including the serial number and dealer name in an email to brp,care@brp.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

BWB, Trust me I have, got them on speed dial now!!!!!!! Hopefully we can get someone from BRP factory out to my boat to resolve these problems. The rigging issues were resolved by Pat from BRP months ago, now it is electrical and motor issues.
Mate

I have a n ETEC 250 HO bought in late  April ,  and many of the steering issues described in this thread sound familar,  just got back from a long trip and 3/4 of the way through got an alarm : DPS Motor Open.    What does this mean, and how complicated of a fix is this.  Ive taken the boat out maybe 10 times ,   and did not expect to be having issues.