Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

No Oil Light (safe mode), question about the oil reservoir hoses

I'm experiencing the No oil light and it going into safe mode.  Sometimes I can restart and can go for 20 minutes without issue, getting more frequent.  Now it's on every start.

I'm in the beginning stages of troubleshooting; but have some basic observations on the oil reservoir for 2003 Ficht 200HP (E200FCXSTM).

-The oil return line easily falls out of the reservoir nipple.  Is this common?  Does the system have to be under vacuum (including the oil return line?)

-I suspect it's getting oil, but maybe someintermitten electrical issue:  this is because the engine hicks-up just right before the no-oil light comes on.  For troubleshooting, if I unplug the oil pressure switch, does that send an open to the EMM, and would continue to run (or should I jump the two terminals)?

-I'm ordering the diagnostic cable, s/w, and service manual so I don't have codes or troubleshooting procedure yet.  I'm just tring to get ahead of the curve.

Thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to post solution when found.

Tim

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: No Oil Light (safe mode), question about the oil reservoir hoses

The oil lines should always be a snug fit. The hose is either distorted, swollen, or the wrong size.

The oil light on a FICHT engine can mean a few different things. Have a diagnostic scan done on the motor to find out which error code is causing the NO OIL  warning light.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks Bill,

I'll get the s/w and manual in a week or so and will do more work.  Let me know if you think of any troubleshooting I can do in the mean time. 

Thanksl

Tim

Highlighted
Admiral

Reove the oil pressure sensor wiring connector to  see if it is full of oil, indicating an internal leak.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I've still not received the diagnostic cable, but did receive the service manaul and have gone through the troubleshooting.  Here's what I have:

-voltage from the EMM to the oil injector is 11.5 with key on (ok to proceed). 

-When engine is running, the voltage is 40V.  EMM sems to be sending the correct voltage to the oil injector. 

-injector circuit resistance check step yielded 1ohm (from EMM-pin10 to fuse1 of PDP). reading is good,

-However, there is no oil coming out of the recirculating hose (should be 12oz for 2 minutes of run time)

-I also checked 2 of the oil lines coming out of the manifold, and am also getting no oil coming out of those.

- I removed the output of the lift pump and it appears to pump from the reservoir.  Howver, I couldn't check the pressure because I didn't have the pressure adapter.

-Checked the pressure switch for oil (as suggesed by this goup), it's dry

This leads me to believe that the oil injector is not pumping properly. Or the manifold is not working properly.  I know, having the diag cable would have helped, but I had to get started. I'm thinking if this goes on longer, I may opt to remove the oild system and pre-mix my gas.  Can you do this on this motor?

Thanks

Tim

Highlighted
Admiral

You cannot premix fuel with an E--TEC or a FICHT outboard. They use a pressurized oil delivery system and the gas and oil does not mix inside the crankcase like old technology engines did.