Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

No oil alarm 175hp Ficht

I have a 2001 Evinrude 175 hp Ficht engine with just over 98 hours on it. Model E175FPXSIF, I purchased new in 2003.  No problems until this year after moving from Eastern Kansas to Mesa Arizona.  While out on lake looking around the no oil light came on, alarm sounded and motor went into S.L.O.W. as it is supposed to.  I knew the tank was at least 3/4 full as i checked it before leaving the house.  I checked the tank to make sure and gave the bulb a few squeases to make sure it was hard.  Started back up, alarm sounded and light came back on again so started for dock.  A few minutes later light went off and i was able to get up to a good crusing speed so stayed out. Slowed down to about 1000 rpm to look at something and alarm went off again so headed for home. 

Cleaned out oil tank and filter, had white sludge in bottom refilled with xd50 ( had been using penzoil brand). Obtained software and cable for motor checked codes and found out that had a replacement head (not happy but has been 10 years) and it had code of 35 no oil at 98 hours. Talked to Evinrude Certified Mechanic on JUst Answer.com and told him what i had done and that I was going to take boat back out and he said let him know what happened.  SO I DID AND NOW HE WONT RESPOND TO MY QUESTIONS.

This is what i found out.....If I start the engine and immediately get over 1500 rpm's I can go for ever with out a problem no alarms or anything but as soon as i bring the rpms below 1500 the no oil light comes on and the alarm goes off. (OH Yeah the Mecanic told me how to prime the oild system after cleaning the tank by plugging the oil return and when I did after about a minute smoke started rolling out the exhaust along with some oil and he said that is exactly what was supposed to happen).  Any way I tried the 1500 rpm thing for several hours while tubing with the kids and always the same result, but if i start out at slow rpm and try to increase I get alarm.  Horrible in no wake zone!  Any Ideas? I did check tank and I am using oil.

Richard

Admiral

Re: No oil alarm 175hp Ficht

Your problem may be a weak oil pump and/or a malfunctioning oil pressure regulator. Testing the pressure at all speed per the service manual procedure will tell you what is wrong.

The white sludge that you encountered was emulsion from water getting into the tank. For best results the whole oil system should be cleaned out and flushed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks BluewaterBill, i'll start checking those when i get back from vacation.

Skipper

did you even figure out your problem

Admiral

[ Edited ]

@chris175 wrote:

did you even figure out your problem

Chris,

That post you are asking about is almost 5 years old.

Very often we never hear back from the people who ask us questions about their motors.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.