Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: No oil alarm

[ Edited ]

Are you sure the LOW OIL light comes on and that it is not the HOT or TEMP light?

When 3 lights come on after the sequential self test is completed after the key is turned to ON, 99.9% of the time there is an internal EMM problem - often intermittent.  A trained tech with the proper equipment should be able to diagnose the problem and to rule out anything else.

Has the motor or EMM had any history of overheating?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

No, not in the history. Only alarms in the history are an old low oil and water pressure. But very old according to dates.
Skipper

P.S.- I have the latest version etec software... had an associate who also does repairs put his on it with the same conclusions....
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Is it the LOW OIL or the HOT light that comes on and stays on with the other lights after the gauge finishes its sequential  self-check of the 4 lights?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Low oil, no oil, check engine.....hot is off
Mate

Just bought a 2017 evinrude etec ho 150 first day out no oil light came on after we launched it. We primed the oil bulb and it started back fine for about 1.5miles. And it sounded like it may have had a ticking noise from the motor. And it was smoking way more than it should have. We took it to the dealer they put they dog ears on it and ran it for 30 min with no problem. We then took it back to the lake and after about 2 miles it done the same thing. Anyone else have this problem or know what it may be?
Mate

I have a brand new 2017 evinrude etec 150 ho. First day I got it we took it to the lake. It started up perfect and ran at idle perfect. As soon as we left the no wake zone the no oil light came on. So I shut it off and primed the oil bulb a few times. Then started it back up idled fine again and as soon as we took off the no oil light came on when it does this it smokes really bad shakes and I though I heard a ticking sound from the motor. We repeated the same process and got it going good for about 2 miles the no oil light came back on. I called my dealer and they said to run it back to the dock on limp mode. So my dealer has it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what it could be. Thanks
Eddie
Admiral

It sounds like not all the air was purged from the oiling system when it was hooked up.

Admiral

Possible air bubble in the oil line or pump. There is a fairly new procedure for bleeding the oil pump and making sure the pressure sensor cavity is full of oil.

The ticking sound and excessive smoke is probably the normal oil pump activating rapidly and adding extra oil whenever there is an alarm.

Mate

Bluewater Bill. Got my boat back this weekend so far it runs good. I think they said that they didn't prime it right that their was a air bubble in the line when we first got it. And that it messed up the oil pump. But it has been replaced and runs good. Thanks