Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

No spark at all on 1989 155hp

trying to start up this 89 155hp and I have no spark. The power pack looks brand new and i ran the kill switch test as documented in  the manual.  I am starting to wonder reading the posts here if the battery i'm using is too small?

Others on this forum have stated that in order to have spark, the motor needs to turn at 350 RPM, that's about 6 revolutions per second.  Doesn't look like i'm getting that to the naked eye.  Im using some small battery i had left over in my shop that's 325cca (when it was new, it's not new) and the data i'm finding for the Johnson v6 carbed engines is that they require 500cca.  Does anyone think this is why i have no spark on all six cylinders?

I've downloaded the guides from cdi and am going to work through the stator, timer, rectifier this weekend but wondering if I shouldn't just pull the 750cca battery out of my dodge ram and give it a shot first.

Thanks all for you help and opinions on this one.

-John

Highlighted
Captain

Re: No spark at all on 1989 155hp

I doubt battery size is preventing operation of the powerpack.  Begin testing by measuring charge capacitor voltage via the kill wire leads.  Should be over 200+ volts depending upon cranking speed.  If this checks out, stator is good.  Don't waste your efforts there.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Skipper

Are these the black/yellow wires in the four wire harness by the pack? Do i disconnect the connector and test while cranking?

Highlighted
Captain

Yes, black/yellow is used for the kill circuit wires.

You may disconnect and measure D.C. voltage between wire and ground while cranking.  Just be aware that if engine should start, your keyswitch/kill switch will not be functional while disconnected.

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

You can test your stator output at the terminal strip just above the power pack. Check the voltage on the two yellow wires that come from the stator. Yes you should use at least a 500 CCA battery.

Highlighted
Captain

Yellow wires on terminal strip are battery charging coil outputs NOT powerpack supply coils.  I believe issue here is lack of ignition.

ElderSparky

Highlighted
Skipper

I agree with yellow wires on strip. Showed little AC voltage. Ran the stator diagnostics as per the cdi page through the connector with all the brown wires and the two orange. All checked out. Ohms dead on for the browns at 950 and voltages over 150. On the orange to orange/ black. Ohms were on at 100 but voltage was 48v + while cranking. Cdi page says anything over 24 means a defective power pack. Would you folks agree?
Highlighted
Admiral

If the power coil voltage is above the limit while connected to the power pack and the engine cranking above the minimum rpm, chances are there is a high-resistance or an open circuit somewhere between the power coil and the power pack's internal circuitry

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

its hooked up to a 700cca battery now. Does the open circuit /high resistance mean Something is up in the epoxy goo of the power pack that I cannot fix thus have to get a new power pack?

Thanks again for all help fellas.

John.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

If the problem is internal, then it will need a new pack.

It is recommended to have a factory trained technician do the troubleshooting with proper test eqipment to determine what is the problem. It can save you grief, money, and aagravation compared to either guessing at the problem or replacing parts until it works correctly.

Do not rule out that the motor could have multiple problems that would prevent ignition from occuring. Use a factory service manual and proper tools if you do the troubleshooting yourself.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.