Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Not even an owner yet and Evinrude is the worst. They are bad at Motors.

I missed the 4th of July. Now we are missing Labor Day. 

It was the last half of June when I said "enough with the merc repairs, let's get a new motor and see if we can get it done by July 4th". 
My service shop, Evinrude Dealer, in Northern California said OK let's do the etec pontoon 115. 

Long story short - the motor was in stock at Evinrude. There were delays in getting it out the door. We didn't recieve the boat back until after the 4th of July. 

Boat water tested fine and was great when we picked up from the shop. We went to launch and it wouldn't start. Just wouldn't turn over. 
Back to the shop. 
They spent a week trouble shooting with Evinrude, who seemed to be draging their feet, before finally sending a new EMM for the brand new motor. Another week to ship that and replace. 
New EMM fired up, but then woldn't start consitently. 
A week on the phone trouble shooting and shipping yet another EMM with a new capacitor. 
Boat still won't start. That took a week or two. 

Evinrude was supposed to send a field tech. We spent another 2.5 weeks waiting for that to happen. No field tech as of the end of August. 

The shop finally called and said "we know you are frustrated, tell you what, let's order another motor, we will hold this one until Evinrude gets it fixed and we will deal with it. We think ordering another will be the fastest and easiest way to get you on the water for labor day. Plus it will be a new motor you can trust."

So we ordered the new motor. Called last week for a rush order. We were told it would be shipped right away. The delivery was expected this Thursday. 

I got the call today - Friday before Labor Day. The motor wasn't shipped until yesterday, nearly a week after the order was placed and paid for.  

Ordering a new Evinrude didn't take care of my problems, it was just the start. My dealer has been nothing but helpful and understanding. They now have a broken 115 pontoon that they will have to fix and figure out.  Meanwhile I have to explain to my guests, family, and kids that even though we thought we were buying a new motor that would take care of all the issues, we are still spending the summer without a boat. And the only thing that I can say is - 

"Sorry everyone it is a result of horrible service and questionable quality from Evinrude. We are committed at this point and I have my dealer's back as much as they have had ours, but Evinrude has shown us nothing. "

The motor didn't work. 
The service department and techs didn't work. 
Promises and guarantees were made at multiple points and they did not follow through. 

I am questioning the quality of  the product (you would too) and the service level I am going to get with the great long warranty. 

I have really enjoyed reading through the forum with everyone and I would like nothing more than to be an Evinrude owner. I kind of own one now but I haven't been able to get it started. 

I told my dealer (who again has been really great and understanding)  if he wanted to switch to Suzuki I would be his first customer. 

Admiral

Re: Not even an owner yet and Evinrude is the worst. They are bad at Motors.

@almanorjim wrote:

I missed the 4th of July. Now we are missing Labor Day. 

Boat water tested fine and was great when we picked up from the shop. We went to launch and it wouldn't start. Just wouldn't turn over. 

The shop finally called and said "we know you are frustrated, tell you what, let's order another motor, we will hold this one until Evinrude gets it fixed and we will deal with it.

Ordering a new Evinrude didn't take care of my problems, it was just the start. ... even though we thought we were buying a new motor that would take care of all the issues, we are still spending the summer without a boat.

...the [second] motor didn't work. 

We are sorry to hear of your experiences and hope they can be resolved quickly.

Is there more to this story because as you mentioned the first motor would not start and the second motor would not work either?  It is possible the problem is in the boat and not the motor.

Because we do not know the circumstances of your situation, please include the serial number(s), dealer's name and address, and what you have written here in an email to  
http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html  and they will look into things.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Re: Not even an owner yet and Evinrude is the worst. They are bad at Motors.

Thank you Bill, 

I apologize. It looks like that was confusing. 

The first new motor would not start and  after several weeks of back and forth with Evinrude we ordered the second.

So far the only failure on the second was in the customer service of shipping the motor when they said they would. I will let you know how the second motor runs once it gets here. 

Most of the frustration has been with the service and after service at Evinrude. And a brand new motor that wouldn't start and could not readily be fixed. 

I will follow up the email address provided.