Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Not sure what happened to my '96 Ocean Pro 200

We got out on the water just fine. Then, after a couple of hours when it was time to move, nothing happened when I turned the key, nothing.

It acted as if the batteries were dead, but that's not the case, since everything electrical works (trim, various lights, etc).

My first thought is that the neutral switch may be messed up, but no amount of working the control back and forth made a difference.

Is there something else in the starting circuit that could cause the motor to act as if the batteries were dead?

The towing experience was pricey, so I'd like to avoid a repeat....

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Not sure what happened to my '96 Ocean Pro 200

Moving the shift control to see if it would crank over does not work if the neutral switch was bad or if there was a bad connection or wire in the starting circuit.

You will need a volt meter or test light to test the 12V circuitry. Refer to the service manual or seek the services of a trained tech.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Turns out that it WAS the neutral safety switch. After replacing the broken one, all is well.
Thanks so much for your help!
Highlighted
Admiral

Glad to hear that you are running again and that it was a relatively inexpensive and easy fix.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.