Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Oil Filter Alert

My 2015 135HO had its inline oil filter installed backwards at the factory (arrow pointing toward tank). I was told probably not a problem but if you find this don't just reinstall the correct way, you just might flush any crude to the engine. You should install a new filter.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Oil Filter Alert

[ Edited ]

Check the service manual as many Evinrude E-TEC models require the oil filter arrow to face the tank, not to the direction of flow.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I do not have a service manuel, but my dealer and a retired Evinrude Engineer told me arrow points to the pump not tank.  If you have something different that I have been told could you maybe scan it and post ?  2015 135HO   Thank You

Highlighted
Admiral

Evinrude, as do the other outboard manufacturers, does not signify model years after 2012  All engine identification is by model number printed on the serial number plate.

What is yours?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Model no. 135HGLAB   ser no. 05440477

Highlighted
Captain

Hi, I am sorry but your advise is wrong, the filter in your engine is correctly fitted-the arrow faces incoming oil, or towards the tank, not the direction of oil flow. It helps to reduce an air lock.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I see that my colleague beat me to the answer.

Today's low-emission computer-controlled outboards are much more complex and different than the traditional engines that we all have been familiar with in the past. No longer can they be maintained or repaired with just an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver.

It is more important than ever to have dealers and technicians who are up to date in factory training and familiar with current products.

Highlighted
Captain

Do you have a  manual that shows this or some sort of documentation?  I'm not trying to be a jerk or start a pissing match with anybody but a Evinrude engineer and a Evinrude master tech says different, I'm not sure what to believe now.  From what little I know about filter design is that typically the filter design we are looking at flows from outside of media to inside then out and this filter is no different, except this uses a fine mesh similar to the filter materal that is in the remote oil tank instead of a pleated design. I have a friend with a couple of power heads and I will compare.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Your  master tech can reference the factory service literature either at the dealership or online. What was his certification date?

The filter arrow facing the flow of oil has been common maintenance knowledge and in the service manuals ever since the V6 60° design came out in the 2007 model year. That was 9 years ago.  It is also taught in the factory training classes that techs have to attend regularly to keep current.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

From the service manual:

E-TEC Oil Filter Orientation.JPG

From a Service Update Book:

Oil Filter 60° V4 and V6 Models

The arrow on the oil filter used on these models must
point toward the oil tank.

Why this is important: The filter assembly may trap air if installed incorrectly.