Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
mms
Mate

Oil leak & starter question

I have a 2010 E tec 200 HO.  When I trim the motor up all the way to get it out of the water overnight 2 cycle oil leaks out into the splash well.  I guess some  more collects there as well because when I pick boat up on trailer and put in storage the oil runs down inside mid section cowling on to foot and then on ground.  It's not a lot but enough to be annoying and make a mess.

Also, I have had to have the starter changed.  It was dragging and drawing too many amps.  My concern is a friend has  a 2008 Etec 200 and is on his 3rd starter. ????

Thanks for any feed back.

Admiral

Re: Oil leak & starter question

Sometimes you may see a bit of oil drip out of the front of the motor when tilted, usually that is from a lot of low speed running, especially when still in the automatic break-in time period of 2 to 5 hours, depending on model. Very often the problem goes away when there is some high speed running prior to putting the boat on the trailer.

Since you see the oil leaking out of the midsection area, it is best to have the motor checked out by an Evinrude technician to be sure it is not something else.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Re: Oil leak & starter question

About the starter, they are not made by Evinrude but purchased from a supplier, just like nuts, bolts, ball bearings, and sparkplugs. The most common causes of internal starter failure are incorrect battery cable size if the factory ones are replaced or lengthened, wing nuts instead of lock washers and hex nuts on the battery terminals, and too small battery capacity.

Also make sure that there is no water spray getting sucked in under the motor cover than can affect the starter. Through-hull fittings and transducers too close to the motor are likely suspects.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.