Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Oil leak from prop?

I've got a 2013 Evinrude 150hp Etec. It was winterized/fogged at the end of last season. I got it out of storage last week and yesterday I hooked the garden hose to it and started it. It smoked a little like expected, but now today I notice that there's a puddle of oil underneath the motor. It's coming from in between the prop and the housing. So I'm wondering if this is normal on start up after being auto-fogged? Any help is Greatly Appreciated.
Mate

Re: Oil leak from prop?

Admiral

That is just some oil that drips down the exhaust pipe after the motor was winterized which injects extra oil into the motor to prevent rust and corrosion. When you ran it on a hose, the motor was not run hard enough to burn off the excess so some of it came out with the exhaust.

No problem. When you take it out on the water and the whole engine warms up under load, the excess oil will be consumed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks Bill, your answer sure helps to put my mind at ease. I appreciate it.
Highlighted
Mate

how to flush

was trying to flush motor,took screw out right above propeller,put down,noticed oil coming from plug,need instructins on    to flush motor,and did i unscew something i shouldn't.thougt oil was mixed with gas.explain