Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Oil leaks

Recently, I leaved my E-Tec fully up for a few hours. Some oil spilled from the mid-casing.

2009 E-Tec 25 hp, tilt, electric start, less than 75 hours of use.

Beeing quite ecolo, I don't like seeing a motor designed to run on water presenting oil leaks.

Is that a current problem?

Indy 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Oil leaks

It depends where the oil is coming from. Is there a cross-threaded or damaged oil fill cap or some seepage through the oil tank pump o-ring that would leak when the motor was tilted up and the tank close to full? Either way a tank is easily replaced, possibly under warranty.

If there is a loose connection causing the oil to accumulate, your dealer can fix it quickly for you.

Some of the early production models had oil tanks that would develop a hairline crack in them and it would be replaced with an improved tank.

See your dealer about getting the motor checked over. If it is the tank and your motor is out of warranty, ask the technician to call the factory dealer support line to see if they can participate in any way to help you out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I own a 2012 Etec 30 HP. No amount of "factory training" can resolve  bad design and poorly made or cheap parts.

The double o ring seal design between the oil pump and plastic tank will never stop leaking. The pump assembly is held in place by a single screw that loosens after several hours of operation. The mating surface is plastic and flexes. Doubling up the o ring is not a solution ---  The design simply doesn't work well and never will. I have tried different o rings, adding a sealant and that stops the leaking for several hours runing time. Then the leak starts again -- sometimes retighteniing the screw slows it to a trickle -- but only disassembly - a thorough cleaning and fresh orings with some sealant stops the leak totaly - and that as I said - only a temporary fix. This is a great line of motors that sorely needs an engineering change to resolve an issue that is damaging the enviornment.  I am surprised the EPA has not come down on BRP for this problem. 

I am retired and have the time to make this leak stopping a routine chore. I have even made some simple tools to help speed up the cleaning and resealing process.  

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

We are sorry to hear about your ongoing oil leakage problem.  Ask your local dealer to refer to service bulletin 2012-05(S) that shows changes in the oil pump orings now available in a repair kit and how to identify a redesigned oil tank.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

I know this thread is old but I have the same problem with the oil leaking in the area of the oil pump. BluewaterBill can you post the service bulletin 2012-05(S) up here so I can determine the old vs new tank design?
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

If you have a float inside the oil tank that monitors the oil level and is attached to the upper housing that contains the oil lines, you have the older style tank.

If the float assembly and wires  are located in the middle of the tank housing and mounted externally, that is the newer style.

What is your engine model number?

Highlighted
Mate

I was very lucky. Our 2017 200 BRP started leaking last year. The leak appeared to come from the filler cap but I couldn’t be sure. Our boat is on a mooring and tilted up when we’re not onboard. Our dealer suggested 2 fixes but the only part in stock was the O-ring on the filler cap. I bought and installed the O-ring. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Highlighted
Admiral

Glad to hear that it was a quick and easy fix

Highlighted
Mate

I am having the same problem. What was the final resolve?