Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Oil puddling under carburators

[ Edited ]

Bill:

I can't remeber if I had asked you this or not,

After operating my 98 200 Ocean Pro, the motor will sit for a day or two, and I get XD-30 puddling in the lower motor pan under the carbs, eventually a small amount dribbles down to the lowest part of the cowl and I get a drop or two on the cavitation plate. (Thats how I know to wipe out the motor pan)

I've checked the oil supply line to the VRO and no leaks, the VRO tank assembly is brand new. Motor runs fine, it just has this annoying problem.

What should I be looking for?

BE200TXECM

Thank you!

Erich

Admiral

Re: Oil puddling under carburators

Is the oil residue the same color as new XD-30 oil or is it black or very dark in color?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Its red, Bill, Just XD 30, there is no gas in it, so I'm convinced ita an oil supply line.

What I did find interesting  though was all the small hoses around the VRO pump are sercured with spring clamps, but theres no evidence the oil is finding its way from there to the motor pan,  

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Because it is virgin oil that is seen, there is a leak somewhere in the lubrication system.

With eye protection on, use a mild degreasing spray cleaner and remove any film or deposits from the oil line to the "VRO" outlet. Remove the lower motor cover also.

Using a flusher, run the motor ard carefully look for any leakage. You should squeeze the oil primer ball one tme while the motor is running to add pressure which may reveal a fitting leak.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks Bill,  I will do this, I have a shop the OMC shop manual for this motor to assist me.

Btw, I picked up a brand new in box (NOS) OMC VRO pump for this motor at a fire sale price from an (OMC) Evinrude dealer going out of business.

Its not the BRP upgraded unit, but the OMC built one. since I'm vigilant about fuel additives and Sta-Bil, I don't anticipate any problems with this new OMC era VRO pump.

What are your thoughts? I'm pretty sure this pump would be fine.

Thanks!

Erich

Admiral

What is the part number on the box?

Does the pump have removable fuel fittings that are held in place by metal oval shaped retainers and Torx screws, or are they glued in place?

Captain

[ Edited ]

Bill:

I checked the VRO pump out, last Night

The white sticker on the pump says its a Model 438285. (22-J-X)

I don't think it was in the original box,  because the number on the box says 438400

The Pump does have the Torx Screws and the fuel fittings are held in place by metal oval shaped retainers

(2- bolt flanges)

The whole thing comes complete with instructions, and a separate (sealed) bag of fittings and fasteners.

Please let me know what you think.

Erich

Admiral

438400 is the part number for the whole kit. The part # has been superceded over the years.

That is the newer designed pump and is the type that has repair parts available. It is what you needed if you replace your existing pump.

Highlighted
Captain

Thank You for the Conformation Bill!