Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Oil tank cap to replace vented cap

I have a 2014 ETEC 130HO.  It has the 1.8gallon oil tank, located inside the boat.  It appearently has a vented cap.  My issue is that the fumes build up inside the boat, under the cover, which makes my boat smell.  I'd like to replace the vented cap with a solid cap when I have the boat stored.  Anyone know what the threads are for this vented cap or where to get a non vented cap?

Thanks.

Admiral

Re: Oil tank cap to replace vented cap

You may have a defective oil cap that has the vent stuck or broken open. A properly operating vent in an oil tank cap allows for air to come into the tank as the oil is consumed, but it does not allow vapors to leave the tank and enter the atmosphere.

If you install a non-vented cap, then a vacuum will built up inside the tank and prevent oil from being drawn into the motor for lubrication, causing the NO OIL alarm to sound and the motor to go into SAFE mode of 1200 rpm.

A new oil cap is part number 176217  available through any Evinrude dealer or online at shop2.evinrude.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

As a tech at a dealer I have installed some remote fill kits which locates the fill cap outside of a compartment.
Captain

Thanks for the information  and the part numer, BluewaterBill.  I'll try a new cap and see what happens.  Seems like a cheap possible fix for less than $20.

My thought would be to use the non-vented cap only during storage, then use switch to the vented cap when I put the boat in the water.  I would have to put a sign on my keys so I didn't forget to change it ...lol

Unfortunately, I don't have another good place to put the oil tank. My boat is basically completely open.

Highlighted
Captain

I read your post again and realized you were referring to a storage cover and not a hatch cover so a remote fill would not help.
On open boats I mount the oil tank in a battery box with a top, mainly to keep the tank from being exposed to the sun during use, that may reduce some fumes.
We are in a high humidity area and some owners use a 4" 110 volt fan with a dryer vent hose attached under the storage cover to keep air flowing.