Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Old Johnson Identification

Hi

I am looking at buying a used boat that had a 150 Johnson Fast Strike on it. However, the guy blew that powerhead and apparently a 175 USED powerhead was put on as a replacement. The guy has no idea on the year of the powerhead. So if anyone could tell the year from these pictures, that would be great. I tried looking for more serial numbers but couldn't find any with letters at the end.

IMG_8944.JPGIMG_8944.JPGIMG_8953.JPGIMG_8954.JPGIMG_8955.JPGIMG_8956.JPGIMG_8958.JPGIMG_8959.JPG

Admiral

Re: Old Johnson Identification

The engine block is a 1991 thru early production 1993 with the non-adjustable carbs.

What numbers are stamped on the round silver disc on the back of the engine?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the reply. The numbers on the plate are 33055646

Admiral

Are you sure that is the correct number of digits?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

On the quarter sized silver plate below the OIS 2000 on the back? Yes I am sure
Mate

[ Edited ]

thanks for sharing.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

dbenner wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The numbers on the plate are 33055646

Bluewaterbill wrote:

Are you sure that is the correct number of digits?

dbenner wrote:
On the quarter sized silver plate below the OIS 2000 on the back? Yes I am sure
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi dbenner,
That number sequence contains too many digits for a proper serial number but if the first character is actually the letter " G " with 3055646 after it, then the powerhead is from a 1992 175 HP Johnson outboard.
Could you provide a well focused close up of the silver plate numbers?

Highlighted
Mate

I only had the pictures I took of the block when I went and looked at it, but after zooming in again, it does look like the first character is a G not a 3. The lighting just made it look like a 3. Good knowledge. Thanks!