Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Older Johnson ID by serial number only

Hello.

I'm looking to purchase an older Johnson and the only visible number is the serial number stamped on the plug on the engine - G4392275.

I know nothing about the engine, but the cowling says 140 Johnson, its a looper, has OIS, and that's about it.  I can dig up some pictures if necessary, but I'm hoping one of you can work some magic.

Thanks in advance!! 

Admiral

Re: Older Johnson ID by serial number only

If the motor is a 140 HP, then it does not have the OIS ignition system on it.

Can you send images of the motor cover decals and of the engine block from the sides and the back?

We may be able to help you identify the engine from those.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

I apologize for these terrible photos, but it's best I'm getting from the seller.  The following link has 7 pictures of the engine, unfortunately non of the cowling. 

http://imgur.com/a/G3rTe

I'm looking to inexpensively replace my '97 Johnson 115 after it decided to eat some rings.  He's posting this as a 2000 Johnson 140, but that's obviously incorrect.  He is unable to find the engine tag with the model number and he knows nothing more about the engine.

He wants $1500 for it, claims it has 115-120 compression and runs great.  I'd go look at it in person, but it's about 3 hours away and I'd rather know exactly what it is before I make the trip out there.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Admiral

That is either a 90 or a 115, not a 140

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Any guess on the year?

Skipper

Also, as an aside, what are the chances of successfully mounting an 80's Johnson 140 (bubble back) powerhead in a 1997 Johnson 115 (also bubble back)?

Like I said, I'm trying to replace this bad powerhead, and I found an older 140 powerhead only for very cheap.  I've checked the powerhead adapter gasket, and they're the same - 342513.

Admiral

That may entail some customizing and rewiring.  You may end up investing more in time and additional money making it uneconomical and a jury-rigged motor.

Skipper

That's all I needed to hear.

Thanks for all the input.

Admiral

serial number 4392275 is model # J115SXEC - 1998 - 115 HP

Admiral

model # J115SXEC - 1998 - 115 HP