Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Opinion on service done to my Etec 25hp last year..

[ Edited ]

Hi guy, not new to the group and have owned my 2015 Etec 25hp for 4 awesome years..

But I have couple concerns I need to check on before I take it back to the dealer who did my warranty required service last year.

1st is since last years service I felt the motor was not quite the same..top end seemed a bit lacking and idle, which I do alot of, seem to have a minor skip.

I didn't pay alot of attention and have used it very little since then due to a building project I had over the fall/spring.

Anyway, I decided today to mark and remove the plugs..I found both to be about 180' out of index. And no mark on the plug indicating the installer had even tried!!

After watching a youtube video I reinstalled them in the opposite holes to which I took them from and found a near perfect index toward the injector.

Super, but then I started to think if the 'authorized dealer' didn't care about this, what else?

So I decided to remove the upper fill plug from the lower unit and check the fluid that came out..yuck!!

The oil ran out so it was at proper fill, but was grey in colour and opaque..what I would expect from the original oil after 4 years I thought, not from the fresh stuff from last summer with only 10ish hours!! Kinda expected a honey colour and clearish.

My question is..is the replacement oil this grey colour?? Or do I need to have a serious chat with my dealer about what my $300 service included? 

Also, is there any way I could tell if those plugs are still factory original? Did they change my water pump??

I'm not impressed!!
2.jpg

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Opinion on service done to my Etec 25hp last year..

1.jpg2.jpg

Highlighted
Captain

Not normal after 10 hours. Has the box got a leak? Remove propeller and check for fishing line. Were you charged for new plugs and water pump?
Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

I also removed the prop and lubed the splines..

No line or signs of leaking at the shaft seal. Nor any signs of water in the fluid, it just really dirty.

My motor is pristinely kept in a car port in my driveway and never kept in the water since brand new!

They charged me for the full 300 hour service: water pump, plugs, lower end oil change..checks and adjust. As told to me, the required maintenance to keep warranty valid.

They returned the water pump kit to me, but I don't recall the plugs..

Highlighted
Admiral

It may be to your advantage to sit down and talk to the dealership management about this situation in a non-emotional factual manner. You can even bring the plugs and a small bottle of the gear oil with you along with the service receipt.

Sometimes things happen or get overlooked. A good dealership will make it right for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

[ Edited ]

I have contacted them and am awaiting their response..we have a long weekend currently so it'll be tuesday.

The sheer number of items overlooked was pretty disturbing considering the amount of money I paid..I was really expecting a 'don't need to lift the hood' service for the near $300 I spent.

They handed me a motor print out, my water pump and receipt..the plugs I don't recall one way or other.

After a couple hours going over this motor since making this post, this is the list I've found so far..

-plugs not indexed(done)

-lower end oil dirty

-none of the grease points touched(done)
-cable sleeves and pivots are still dry(done)

-prop doesn't appear to have ever been removed, shaft inspected or lubed.(done)
-shift linkage loose..remove tiller arm bezel and tighten screws left loose during previous idle button replacement by same dealer. (done)

I'm very capable of servicing my own motor and only took it there and paid in the 1st place to ensure my warranty!!

I'm not trying to throw the dealer under the bus, but I live in a small city and am myself a small business owner. I haven't named them or posted any reviews until I after I hear back from them and hear what they have to say and what they might like to do to resolve it.

I will not be returning my motor to them if this is their suggestion..but if they want to supply me with the oil and pump, I'll change it myself.

If I delivered this level of attention to my work, I'd expect to have pissed off customers.

I'll be servicing myself from here out..the next interval will be after warranty end.

The purpose of this post was to make sure my guns were loaded before making any statements regarding the lower end oil not being changed.

Can I assume you'd agree with my assesment? 

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

That lube oil has lots of water in it, creamy color with color stripes in it draining out hole.
Only takes minutes running in water to suck water into gearcase when a seal goes.

Were the plastic compress seals on the oil plug screws when you removed them?  Seals have to be replaced every time plug/s are removed even just to check lube level.
ONE TIME USE.

Fishing line especially the braid cuts out a prop shaft seal in seconds, braid pulls out easily, gone, water goes in.
Have your shop check the driveshaft upper seal also.

Once leaking seals are replaced, need gear case vacuum and pressure tests.

Prop hit can also damage seals, have the shop check the prop shaft for straightness with dial runout gauge.

Other items, no comment since I did not see them.  Always document all service items that are questioned with pictures.

Pure old HPF Pro lube that is way past change hours will be coal black and stink like a skunk.

Highlighted
Captain

Matter has been resolved with dealer, I'm satisfied..

However, they maintain that indexing of plugs is not that important and therefore they don't worry about it during replacement.

Why then would the manufacturer suggest it should be done during replacement??

Thoughts?

Highlighted
Captain

While there are a lot of opinions on plug indexing only the design engineers know for sure. There is such a small amount of fuel injected at slow speed that the plug side electrode can block some fuel spray. A plug that is indexed 180 degrees out (backwards) is out of specs and could effect performance. "The book" gives about 90 degrees either side of center as acceptable.
I have a notch ground into my spark plug socket and index plugs without marks on the plug.