Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Over heating Etec

I have a 2006 250 HP etec that will idle all day and just recently I took out went 1 and a half hours offshore fine on the way back it hit the over temp light.  Come off plane and and idle for a few minutes the alarm goes away and I can come back onto plane at higher rpm for a few minutes then the over temp light.  The water pump was replaced in feburary but when I have muffs attached to the engine and crank it up it spits water out of the tale tale hole but no water reaches the thermostat housing.  Pulled the thermostats to check and I am getting no water at idle?  Should I be getting water to the thermosate housing at idle?  I pulled the top plate that has the brasss fitting supplying water to the emm and there was no water in there also.  I would think if I had a bad water pump then I would be overheating sooner than 1.5 hours, but again Im not getting water to the termostat housings at idle.  Any insight?

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: Over heating Etec

Anyone know where to hook up a pressure gauge to these engines
Highlighted
Skipper

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Whenever there is an overheat condition, the information, temp, number of times, etc. is all recorded in the EMM memory which can be accessed by a tech with the diagnostic equipment.

It is possible that the EMM is overheating and not the engine, but you have to have an engine report to know for sure.

E-TEC%20%20%20V-6%20%20%2090°%20%20water%20pressure%20fitting%20connection[1].JPG

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.