Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Owner's Manual

I am having trouble finding the Owner Manual specific for my (1983?) Evinrude Yachtswin 9.9hp longshaft outboard.

Serial #E0194914

Model #E10SELCTC

Any assistance and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Admiral

Re: Owner's Manual

[ Edited ]

Hi 

You can obtain Johnson and Evinrude service manuals and operators guides from www.outboardbooks.com 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I emailed them directly as they do not list the Manual for my outboard motor. Fingers crossed, thanks for the help!
Admiral

[ Edited ]

http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm/manual/E10SELCT/

part number 209631

Part Number Description Type Price Add to Cart
174028 ACCY - 1983; Optional Accy Parts Catalog; EM/JM OUTBOARDS Accessory Parts Catalog $42.93
209631 OM - 1983; 9.9; E10SELCT; EM OUTBOARDS Owners Manual $34.95
393579 PC - 1983; 9.9, 15; EM/JM OUTBOARDS Parts Catalog $33.85
393765 SM - 1983; 2 THRU 235, ALL MODELS; EM/JM OUTBOARDS Service Manual $83.00

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

What kind of oil do you suggest (lower end unit)?
Can I switch to synthetic without changing/modifying anything?
Admiral

@Simmerbecky wrote:
What kind of oil do you suggest (lower end unit)?
Can I switch to synthetic without changing/modifying anything?

The Evinrude HPF Pro lower unit oil is a semi-synthetic and is the only lube recommended for your E-TEC engine's gearcase.

A few years back a magazine tested several brands of gear oils in various types of tests, both with and without water intrusion and the Evinrude HPF Pro was  the only one to consistantly finish each test at or near the top compared to other well-known oils.

Skipper

My outboard is a 1983 year model, is that still called 'e tech'?
Skipper

Oops, sorry. I meant 'e Tec'
Admiral

1983 is not an  E-TEC

HPF Pro is the recommended oil for all fully mechanical shift Evinrude and Johnson outboards going back to about 1949 - ones wth F-N-R gears

Mate

My outboard is a 1983 year model, is that still called 'e tech'?

good article!