Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Performance Reports for Older Outboards? (98 Ocean Pro 115)

Hi,

I'm trying to get an idea on what I should be expecting for fuel consumption.  I have read to expect ~ 10% of the rated HP at WOT.  That's fine but with the waterways the way they are I spend anyhere from 20-40 minutes (depends on which river) going through no-wake zones.   Boat is a 98 Pro-line 170 with a 98 115  Evinrude Ocen Pro and runs good but just seems to be thirsty...  My other boat has 225 4 stroke, and last 2 stroke I owned was maybe 10 years ago.  

I tried here but only goes back to 2007..

http://www.evinrude.com/en-CA/tools/performance-reports-library?boatTypeId=Offshore&pageNumber=7

Just want to try and optimize as much as I can, I know carborated will use more fuel that DI..

Thanks,

Fred

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Performance Reports for Older Outboards? (98 Ocean Pro 115)

Attached is a performance report on a 2000  115 Johnson on an 18' Hydrasport center console that weighed 2150#

Your '98 115 will be very similar in fuel consumption at the same rpms. Note that the test was with an aluminum prop and not with a more efficient stainless steel performance prop.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Bill,
Thanks for you help! One question, so I have an aluminum prop on this setup. Not sure what the pitch is.. What would a stainless prop do for me? What would be a recommended size/pitch?

Best Regards,
Fred
Highlighted
Admiral

A stainless prop is stronger than aluminum and has thinner and better shaped blades for improved performance.

Choosing the best all around prop takes trial and error. Talk to your dealer about trying various propellers.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.