Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Planning to go pick up the new boat and motor...

As we are in a fairly remote area, what things should we grab when going past the Evinrude dealer?

- Evinrude fuel conditioner (should be run all year, correct?)

- XD 100

???

Does the Evinrude fuel conditioner help combat ethanol fuels, somewhat?

Thanks...

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Planning to go pick up the new boat and motor...

I would have at least 3 extra gallons of oil. You will go thru a gallon or 2 quickly before it settles down.  1 extra of each onboard and and remote fuel water filters. . Just Incase you get some water in fuel.  Like you said a fuel treatment for ethanol also.  A grease gun for your fittings with triple guard grease to keep it  lubed. Also for your trailer hubs.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@alyaz wrote:

Does the Evinrude fuel conditioner help combat ethanol fuels, somewhat?

Thanks...

Yes, it helps but does not prevent phase separation. Be sure to pick up an extra engine filter and several boat filters. A spare prop or two and prop hardware, including thrust washer, hub kit, and some extra cotter pins, is always a good idea.

Are you going to sea trial the boat with the dealer first? It is recommended, especially in your case and location.

Get with the tech for a list of Torx and allen wrenches that you may need plus extra common sizes of Oediker clamps and end-**bleep** pliers to squeeze them tight.  320107 ty-raps, a handful and duct tape or wide painters tape if you use an ear-type flusher

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks guys.

Does the 135HO not have a garden hose inlet for flushing?  Or do I need to pick up some muffs too?

The builder is several hours away from the dealer, so I doubt very much the dealer will be available.  I can call him and chat though.

Highlighted
Captain

I prefer to use earmuffs for flushing. The connection at the rear with a okiter clamps is a weak point that can pop off if you turn the water pressure to high. It will leak.  It happened to me day 1. 

Highlighted
Admiral

@alyaz wrote:

Thanks guys.

Does the 135HO not have a garden hose inlet for flushing?  Or do I need to pick up some muffs too?

The builder is several hours away from the dealer, so I doubt very much the dealer will be available.  I can call him and chat though.

Will the boat be test run with engine mounting height and prop chosen for best performance? Will the rigging, calibrations, and overall setup be inspected and approved my a dealer's factory trained tech?

To be eligable for warranty the motor must be inspected and a pre-delivery form filled out and signed by both you and the dealer. The dealer is then the one who registers the motor with the factory so your warranty is put into force. They also have to give you instruction in the operation, maintenance, and warranty  as well as giving you the factory operator's guide - YOU have to sign the form that all this has taken place and that you understand. It is a legal document.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Admiral

The flush fitting on the back of the motor is fine for flushing. You can do it either way. 

Will the motor be used in salt or fresh water?

Highlighted
Captain

Yes, the owner from Lordship Marine attended the builders last week.  They calibrated everything and he checked over and complimented his rigging set up.  My understanding is the warranty has been approved.  

I will speak to the dealer to ensure everything is good.

Highlighted
Captain

I am guessing here, but I suspect that the motor, technically is sold to the builder and then he transfers everything to me, much as a new boat/motor would sell from a boat dealer.

The boat/engine unfortunately will be operated and hooked to a buoy in the chuck.  It will be on the buoy for at least the summer at which time it will be brought to the house where I can fresh water flush it and continue using the boat on a 'nice-day' basis...

Highlighted
Admiral

PDI form -- Evinrude E-TEC.JPG

The pre-delivery inspection form (PDI) will look very much like this one.