Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Power tilt on 2012 150

My power tilt works with the engine running, but will only go down with the engine off.  Thus, when putting it on the trailer I have to tilt it up before turning it off.  The voltage is 12 from the  batteries and 14 when running with the alternator.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Highlighted
Admiral

Power tilt on 2012 150

[ Edited ]

Try it with the key ON but with the motor OFF.  If up works then someone has been playing around  or jury-rigging with the wiring somewhere.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Power tilt on 2012 150

[ Edited ]

Have had my power trim solenoid replaced twice in 4 years,under warranty. Always carry a big flat bladed screwdriver to manually raise or lower the engine. 2011 150 etec.

Highlighted
Admiral

That is strange as the relays are pretty reliable.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

When it first failed, i rang my dealer on my cell phone on a sunday on his mobile,luckily we dropped the motor down.We had a discussion days later in his workshop about lowering the motor by turning the screw valveon the left hand side of the motor.?A small hole marked MANUAL RELEASE totally painted over. Suggest to BRP,make it in Black lettering and inform all Dealers to explain its use at time of purchase as their duty of care,!

Highlighted
Admiral

The manual release valve is both explained and illustrated in the operator's guide that comes with then motor - page 32 in a 2012  150 HP owners  manual

Highlighted
Mate

The problem started on one of my last trips from our dock.  It had previously worked fine all summer.  I normally keep it fully up while it is docked.  Thus, there have been no changes to the wiring.  Thanks

Highlighted
Admiral

You may ask the dealer to monitor the UP switch votage getting to the UP solenoid and the current flow to the trim motor both with the motor running and OFF

Highlighted
Skipper

I have a 2012 75hp etec evinrude I bought used online. After I received the motor I noticed that the manual release valve head is almost completely stripped. I wanted to replace it. I know they are crazy expensive. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove it. I got the clip out are they reverse thread?
Highlighted
Admiral

@ronkchar wrote:
I have a 2012 75hp etec evinrude I bought used online. After I received the motor I noticed that the manual release valve head is almost completely stripped. I wanted to replace it. I know they are crazy expensive. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove it. I got the clip out are they reverse thread?

The release valve only requires 45 to 55 inch-pounds of torque to seat correctly and most owners over-tighten the seew by a large margin. Combine that with possible salt water corrosion and you have a very tight item that is hard to remove.

In severe cases the trim unit may have to be removed to access the release valve with a heavy duty screwdriver head socket. A judicious level of heat may also be needed.  An experienced tech may be your best bet to avoid any further damage.